Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant go back to normal style after using lowered character

When I insert a lowered character (am not sure what it is called in English) in the word processing part in AW by pressing shift-apple-minus, I can't go back to normal (i. e. not lowered) character style by pressing apple-T or by selecting Text -> Style -> Normal Text (this is my translation from the Norwegian version, unfortunately I don't know what the menu-items are called in the English version)

Posted on Nov 7, 2005 4:50 PM

12 replies

Nov 7, 2005 7:00 PM in response to Hans Chr. Holmsen

I'm not sure what's going on in your case, but here's a workaround, and a way to avoid the problem in future.

*For the current problem: Click after the subscript text, then press delete until you have only Plain Text at the insertion point. Proceed as below.

*In regular use: Type the subscript text as part of the Plain Text, and continue beyond it for a few characters. Then select the text that is to be set as subscript, and change its format, using the Text menu or the usual keyboard command. This wil change only the selected text, and will leave the followg text as Plain, a format that should hold as you continue typing from the end.

Regards,
Barry

Nov 8, 2005 4:27 AM in response to Hans Chr. Holmsen

Hello

This style is named "Subscript" in english.
On my machine, when a range of text is set as subscript, selecting the entire range, even with extraneous characters and choosing the plain text style restores this plain text style.
Selecting the exact range of chars and unchecking the subscript menu item "disable" this attribute leaving others in use.

If this doesn't work with your doc, I assume that
- 1 - your doc is corrupted and it would be useful to make some cleaning, for instance save it as AW5 then open the new AW5 document with AW6.

- 2 - some preference file is corrupted and it would be useful to trash them.

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE mardi 8 novembre 2005 11:27:28)

Nov 9, 2005 12:53 AM in response to Peggy

Hello Hans

May you attach some sample "odd" files to a mail and send them to:

koenigPERIODyvanATtele2PERIODfr

to use this “crypted” mail address:
change PERIOD to .
change AT to @
change PERIOD to .

and please, don’t put the true address in a forum’s message.
Having the files on my machine would be useful to know if the oddities are docs-related or specific to your install.

Have you already tried to create a new userAccount to check if the odddity strikes also in this new one ?

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE mercredi 9 novembre 2005 7:51:31)

Nov 9, 2005 6:16 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Hello Yvan,

By the time you read this, I have already sent you a mail, but for the benefit of others reading this topic I repeat some of it here.

I did try to save it as AW5 and then opening it in AW but the problem persisted. I also tried to delete the preference files, also with no result. Then I tried to start another user account. I opened a copy of the problem file, then saved it as an AW5 file, opened the AW5 file (AW then opens a copy of the file in AW6 format), deleted a few words in the end of the file, so the subscript was deleted, wrote those words again, so the subscript was recreated, and the problem was still there.
?
Regards,
Hans Christian

Nov 9, 2005 11:16 AM in response to Hans Chr. Holmsen

Here is the text part of the response I sent to Mr Holmsen.

Hello

It appears that there is an anomaly with the Norsk version of AppleWorks.

I opened your document with the french and an english AW version. It works flawlessly.

Then, I opened it with the Norsk version.

Using the "Senket tekst" item I tried to return to standard stil. The char moved up of only half the displacement.

Applying "Vanlig tekst" to a small range of chars gave a "funny" result: the range moved down slightly.
?
Applying "Vanlig tekst" at the entire paragraph, it works but it removed other attributes that you may wish to keep.
?
So, I think that there is really a bug but, as AppleWorks is dropped, don't wait for an update.

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE mercredi 9 novembre 2005 18:16:42)

Cant go back to normal style after using lowered character

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.