Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choose Application – Where is... ???

Hey folks,

Ever since upgrading to Snow Leopard I've been having windows pop up when I launch CS3 apps asking me where it is. The app then proceeds to launch without issue so it's more an inconvenience than anything else, still, I'd like to get rid of it. Oh, and telling OS X where the app is doesn't seem to help anything. After logging out and back in, I'll get the window again.

I suspected it had something to do with SuperDuper! and cloning my boot drive. I emailed the kind dude at ShirtPocket who advised me to rebuild my Launch Services database, which was needed, but didn't fix the problem.

Anyone else having this or know a fix for it?

Here's a sample screen grab: http://grab.by/jrA

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mac Pro Harpertown 8 x 2.8 | 8GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 30" Apple display

Posted on Nov 7, 2009 1:25 PM

8 replies

Nov 7, 2009 1:33 PM in response to donovan

this is certainly an launch services database problem. the superduper guy told you correctly.

delete the file homedirectory/library/preferences/com.apple.launchservices.plist and run the following terminal command

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

then select a file of you want to open with CS3 and enter command+i. in the resulting popup go to the "open with" section and set it to open with CS3. then click 'change all". see if it works ok after that.

Nov 7, 2009 5:43 PM in response to donovan

sorry, then I don't know what the problem is. try it on a new account. do you get the same popup there?

one more thing. try changing using "change all" in 'open with" to set some other app like Preview as the default. then use 'change all" to change it back to Photoshop.

Message was edited by: V.K.

Jan 24, 2010 10:10 AM in response to donovan

I have exactly the same issue and there are a couple of threads about this topic in this and other forums, but the key questions are not explained in any of them. So I try to ask them perhaps there is an expert or even an apple guy out there answering them:

1) Where does the "Choose Application" window belong to? The Finder? Some other application deeper in the system?
2) What is the purpose of this window: The performance of the system is not changed at all whether you choose an application or just cancel it.
3) Since it has no apparent purpose: How can the annoying popping up of the window be prevented?

I just moved my system from a PowerBook G4 with Leopard to a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and I did not do a clean install. Naturally I have a few additions to the system (i.e. Growl and some others). Yet reading all the posts I have the impression the "Choose Application" window is not related to any of them. And by the way, I tried most of the suggestions of this an other forums (deleting SIMBL, rebuilding the launchservices database and a few other) it did not change anything.

*So please Apple tell us how to stop this annoyance!!!!!*

Feb 24, 2010 3:09 AM in response to donovan

Ya, I get this too. Started about a month ago (January?) and the dialog box doesn't state its parent application, only that it is looking for CS3 (which I have never owned). Happens randomly, it seems.

I have to say, the box does not LOOK like an Apple dialog box. This is where someone will make the obvious comment that these systems are complex and no telling what people have installed.

Choose Application – Where is... ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.