Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD over internet

Is it possible to control an ARD client over an internet connection?

Posted on Sep 16, 2005 10:01 AM

8 replies

Sep 25, 2005 9:52 AM in response to David Rawcliffe1

In the left pane click on Scanner. To the right you'll see a pop up menu. Choose Specific Address, then type in the IP address of the remote computer. Double click it to add the User Name and Password. If you need to find the address of the remote computer, while at the computer open Safari and go to whatismyip.com. If you're directly connected to the internet this is your computer's IP address. If the remote computer is behind a router this is ther routers IP address and you need to forward ports 5900 and 3283 to your computer. Different routers have different ways to forward ports so it's impossible to give you instructions here.

Sep 26, 2005 1:55 PM in response to Steven Kent1

Ports 5900 and 3283 need to be open on the client and server. This is done in the Sharing Preference in the System Preferences. In the Services tab there should be "Apple Remote Desktop". Click the check box next to it. Starting the service also opens the ports in the Firewall tab, IIRC.

Forwarding the ports only needs to be done on the server if it is behind a router.

Oct 18, 2005 11:03 AM in response to David Rawcliffe1

I thought I might broaden the scope of the question a bit.

While it is possible to control an ARD host over a IP connection (using a static IP address on the host), is it possible to open an IP range for an administrator to come in from outside and pick the host he wants to control, and if so, how? Of course, this assumes security is in place at the host level as well as the router. I know there are as many ways to configure the router as there are router models, but there has to be a general concept behind it that you could apply anywere.

Thanks

ARD over internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.