Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DUPLICATE CONTACTS IN ADDRESS BOOK ON iPHONE

I have duplicate contacts for every name in my address book on my iPhone. This morning, I opened my address book in my AppleBook and erased all duplicates. I synced my iPhone again, and still have duplicate addresses. Can anyone explain the problem and help me resolve it? Thanks

MacBook Pro, iPhone, Mac OS X (10.4.8), latest updates have been made

Posted on Nov 8, 2009 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2009 7:09 AM

Do you have a MobileMe account?

If not and the contacts were duplicated with the Address Book on your Mac and the duplicates have been deleted from the Address Book on your Mac, under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences below the Advanced section, select Contacts for replace info on this iPhone. Select Apply.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2009 7:09 AM in response to Mark905

Do you have a MobileMe account?

If not and the contacts were duplicated with the Address Book on your Mac and the duplicates have been deleted from the Address Book on your Mac, under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences below the Advanced section, select Contacts for replace info on this iPhone. Select Apply.

Nov 15, 2009 5:55 PM in response to mikeparry

This means you've also selected to sync contacts direct with the Address Book on your Mac via the iTunes sync preferences, which duplicates the contacts on your iPhone.

To remove the duplicates on your iPhone, deselect sync Contacts under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes followed by selecting Apply.

On your iPhone go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Select your MobileMe account.

Turn Contacts off for over the air syncing. This will erase all contacts downloaded from your MobileMe online address book with a warning message provided indicating this will occur. This will not erase contacts synced direct with the Address Book on your Mac via the iTunes sync process.

Select OK and wait a minute or two for the online contacts to be deleted from your iPhone.

Follow this by turning Contacts back on for over the air syncing. This will provide a merge prompt, which you want to select. This will eliminate the duplicates.

Nov 15, 2009 6:13 PM in response to Mark905

I had the same problem. The "truth" database in the Mac, which is a critical, core component of syncing services in the Mac, somehow had lots and lots of duplicate entries from my use of Contacts and Entourage from over the years.

The way I eliminated the duplicates was to reset the "truth" database as it relates to syncing my Contacts by resetting the sync history.

Go to Applications/iSync.
Select "Preferences" under the iSync Application menu.
Click on "Reset Sync History" in the Advanced section.
In the drop down sheet, verify you want to reset sync history.
Restart Mac.

Upon restart, reconnect iPhone and resync contacts from iTunes.

Hope it works for you.

Matt

DUPLICATE CONTACTS IN ADDRESS BOOK ON iPHONE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.