Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic Mouse Scrolling and Clicking - how to stop?

I'm sure there is an easy answer to this question, and since I'm not a Mac troubleshooting professional, I can't figure out. **, I'm not even sure of the proper Mac nomenclature for this action - when the mouse clicks and scrolls automatically (you ocassionally get that grey dot/arrow button?) but sometimes it just springs up and it's annoying at best, destructive at worst.

How to stop this and what actually activates this most annoying of features? Thanks!

Quad-Core Intel Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6), (Other hard drives running OS 10.4.5, 10.2.8 and OS 9.2.2)

Posted on Nov 8, 2009 4:42 PM

5 replies

Nov 9, 2009 4:45 AM in response to baltwo

Maybe it's a dysfunctional mighty mouse, but I can hear the mouse internally clicking, as if it's working on its own. I do notice a gray circle with dots and an arrow appearing on the screen when this occurs. It's a little hard to describe, but I can definitely tell it's something occurring between the mouse and the os, or the os itself. There's nothing specifically I am doing when this occurs, it just happens at random intervals, more often than desired (it's never desired actually!) I've restarted my computer, zapped the pram, etc and it still seems to manifest itself and as I've previously mentioned, it can be destructive as long as I am moving the mouse, it will automatically select things as I am moving it.

Nov 9, 2009 12:43 PM in response to Scott Mosher

I've used might mice (mouses?) for a few years now and have never run into this problem. It might not even be the mouse. I'm not really sure... was more curious if anyone can diagnose this issue/problem and/or if anyone else has had this happen to them. It seems apparent to me there must be a preference or trigger somewhere, but I'm just stumped.

Automatic Mouse Scrolling and Clicking - how to stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.