8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2009 9:38 PM by OlafMeding
OlafMeding Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Does anyone know why mail sometimes forgets the password for my POP account? This tends to happen when the internet connection is slow. Could it be that mail times out trying to access the mail server and then erroneously asks for the password?

This is an annoying problem, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Olaf

Macbook Pro 13-inch, 2.26 GHz CPU, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.1)
  • K T Level 7 Level 7 (23,700 points)
    This is an annoying problem

Yes it is - not new w/SL - many see the same thing, myself included.

Was fixed for a while in a recent OS, but now it is back, and I'm back to waiting again for a resolution.
  • V.K. Level 9 Level 9 (56,130 points)
    OlafMeding wrote:
    Does anyone know why mail sometimes forgets the password for my POP account? This tends to happen when the internet connection is slow. Could it be that mail times out trying to access the mail server and then erroneously asks for the password?

yes. if the connection is bad or the server does not respond to requests from Mail it will sometimes assume that the password provided is wrong and prompt you to re-enter it. nothing to be done about that.

but it could also be that there is a problem with your keychain. to eliminate that possibility start keychain Access and run keychain first aid. also, for good measure delete all keychain entries for you POP password and recreate them when you next check for Mail.

This is an annoying problem, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Olaf
  • OlafMeding Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Is there perhaps a way to increase the time before a timeout occurs?

Olaf
  • V.K. Level 9 Level 9 (56,130 points)
    OlafMeding wrote:
    Is there perhaps a way to increase the time before a timeout occurs?

that's not customizable. you can turn off automatic email checking for the pop account or change its frequency but that's all you can do.

Olaf
  • William Maxwell Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)
    Looks like Apple just released the Mac OS X 10.6.2 update.

Please see if you can follow this best practice for the update:

• Complete a full Time Machine update.
    • Ensure all Apple applications are in their default locations e.g., Safari and Mail are in /Applications etc.
    • Quit all applications.
    • Run software update from the apple menu to start the Mac OS X 10.6.2 upgrade.
    Well perhaps the upgrade to 10.6.2 fixed the problem. Now mail times out with a triangle showing an exclamation point symbol, but no prompt to re-enter the password. BTW, my problem account is a POP compuserve account.

PS The OS drop down for posts does not yet show 10.6.2

Olaf
  • WarriorAnt Level 4 Level 4 (2,750 points)
    From Apples recent Knowledge base documents released today

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3103

Mac OS X v10.6: Unable to receive POP mail after updating to 10.6.2
    The KB article does not apply to my case since I can get my mail most of the time.

Olaf