Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Coolbook after 10.6.2 update, can't reinstall it

Coolbook doesn't work after updating from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. When I open it, it says "This update requires a reboot" no matter how many times I reboot. I can't use it, and I also can't uninstall the driver to reinstall it and see if that corrects it. When I try to uninstall it through the preferences pane, it says "failed to uninstall."

Apple MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 9, 2009 2:02 PM

45 replies

Nov 9, 2009 3:05 PM in response to tommythegun

See if this helps:

Uninstalling Software: The Basics

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash. Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space. If you want you can look for them in the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. In some cases the uninstaller may be part of the application's installer, and is invoked by clicking on a Customize button that will appear during the install process.

Some applications may install components in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. You can also check there to see if the application has created a folder. You can also delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder. Again, they don't do anything but take up disk space once the application is trashed.

Some applications may install a startupitem or a Log In item. Startupitems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and less often in the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder. Log In Items are set in the Accounts preferences. Open System Preferences, click on the Accounts icon, then click on the LogIn Items tab. Locate the item in the list for the application you want to remove and click on the "-" button to delete it from the list.

Some software use startup daemons or agents that are a new feature of the OS. Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

If an application installs any other files the best way to track them down is to do a Finder search using the application name or the developer name as the search term. Unfortunately Spotlight will not look in certain folders by default. You can modify Spotlight's behavior or use a third-party search utility, Easy Find, instead. Download Easy Find at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder. Usually with the same name as the program or the developer. The item generally has a ".pkg" extension. Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are also several shareware utilities that can uninstall applications:
AppZapper
CleanApp
Yank
SuperPop
Uninstaller
Spring Cleaning

Look for them at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

Nov 10, 2009 2:55 PM in response to Benjamin Werres

NEWS!

Seems like the problem will soon be fixed. I wrote to the support Mail from Coolbook and got the following answer:

+Dear CoolBook user, I'm getting a lot of questions regarding the 10.6.2 update. Here is some information about it. The current SL CoolBook beta does not work with OS X 10.6.2. I will release a fixed version later this week. Your current CoolBook installation does not interfere with OS X, so you don't have to uninstall it. Turn off throttling to disable CoolBook completely until the update is released. The dialog window about the update is a bug. No update was performed. A working uninstaller will of course be included in the next release. Do not use any third party uninstallers. If you need to manually uninstall CoolBook, let me know so I can help you. Best regards+

Nov 13, 2009 9:00 AM in response to Kappy

Nor is it even required under any circumstance.

Come on, the MacBook Air cannot run VMWare Fusion without CoolBook, otherwise the whole MBA gets slow and useless. CoolBook does a great job at keeping it running, both MacOs and Windows at full speed.

Without CoolBook, as soon as you try to perform any CPU intensive task, either the kernel_task hijacks the CPU, or the CPU frequency drops down to 798Mhz, and guess what, compared to a 2,13GHz CPU running normally, this is horribly slow.
With CoolBook running, none of this happens, so I really need it to work again.

And please Apple : stop breaking this cool software with each and every new MacOs release !!!

Nov 13, 2009 9:15 AM in response to tommythegun

Greetings,

This is another unnecessary utility, that I have no use for, and is of no real value to anyone. I'm told that it is not compatible, with 10.6.2, but that it sorta work, and there is a Beta.

Screwing around with CPU settings is not to be taken lightly - leave it alone, I have a couple of Macbook Pros, and there isn't any heating problem to worry about. There are several at work, again no issues.

These kinds of utilities are the type of thing that EX-Winblows folks seem to need, for some reason. I use Winblows computers, when I have to, but I never use that kind of utility there either, it's asking for trouble.

All these cutesy utilities are what will get folks in trouble faster than anything, and then they complain about the OS being a problem, and it has bugs, etc, etc. Idiots.

Cheers,
M.

Nov 13, 2009 1:12 PM in response to Monty1945

Monty1945 wrote:

This is another unnecessary utility, that I have no use for, and is of no real value to anyone. I'm told that it is not compatible, with 10.6.2, but that it sorta work, and there is a Beta.

Screwing around with CPU settings is not to be taken lightly - leave it alone, I have a couple of Macbook Pros, and there isn't any heating problem to worry about. There are several at work, again no issues.

Coolbook is useful because it allows you to optimize performance and to throttle the CPU manually. Some software needlessly consumes more CPU time than needed to run, causing the system to throttle up. Throttling down the CPU prevents the computer from getting hot and saves battery life. If, for example, all you are doing is text editing, setting the CPU to the minimum voltage and frequency will give you much better battery life.

Undervolting your CPU can't harm it. The worst thing that can happen is that you will crash your machine, which may cause data loss. This is why you run CPU tests when changing voltage settings so that you ensure stability.

I have found coolbook to be a very useful program for running my Macbook Pro the way I want it to.

Nov 14, 2009 12:50 AM in response to Monty1945

With all due respect, many "idiots" who use Coolbook have to because they're in a situation like mine, where my Macbook (late 2006 model) has had absurd overheating issues since I bought it, regardless of the OS (Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard), even after clean installs of each. Coolbook was the only thing that kept my system generally usable and it's back to barely usable now that Coolbook doesn't work on 10.6.2.

And yes, I did complain at an Apple Store about the overheating issue and was shrugged off.

I haven't encountered any problems whatsoever with Coolbook (except the fact it doesn't work yet on 10.6.2) -- it's Apple that goofed up here. Design, assembly, I'm not sure what, but they did goof up badly.

Nov 14, 2009 1:55 AM in response to Jack B.

Jack B. wrote:
Coolbook is useful because it allows you to optimize performance and to throttle the CPU manually.

The idea that users can somehow manually optimize performance better than what Apple has built into the system is farfetched. What Coolbook allows users to do is degrade performance to get a cooler running laptop. Contrary to popular belief, this does not necessarily increase battery life: because some subsystems must always draw power unless allowed to sleep & drives must continue to spin as long as data on them must be accessed, dialing back CPU performance so that some operations take longer to complete can actually decrease battery life.

If you find that you need to use Coolbook to keep your laptop from overheating when just doing lightweight processing like text editing, you have a problem that needs attention, not the band aid that Coolbook amounts to in this situation. Perhaps your cooling vents are clogged or some heatsink is improperly seated. Maybe some software is corrupted or incompatible & is consuming excess CPU cycles while running in the background. Perhaps you have just left so many apps open that you are running out of RAM & the system is working overtime to do VM swaps. Whatever the cause, you are doing yourself no favors by masking the problem with Coolbook instead of finding & eliminating it.

Of course, if you just want to lower the temperature for your comfort & don't mind sacrificing some performance & maybe a little battery life to get it, that's a different story. But don't expect Apple to support things like Coolbook to get that. As with all third party hacks, it is something that you must look elsewhere for support if you choose to use it.

Nov 14, 2009 2:32 AM in response to R C-R

Strange how many people think that lowering the voltage will decrease performance.
It will not unless i causes instability. Apple uses the same Voltage settings for all Macbooks with e certain processor for a reason. That reason is to ensure maximum stability of the system. However no two processors are exactly the same, and may note need the same voltage in order to work properly.

Remember it's the Voltage that is lowered in CoolBook in order to reduce heat.

I've never seen an overklocker up the voltage only to get a better 3dmark score.

Hopefully there will be en new version out soon.

Nov 14, 2009 6:00 AM in response to R C-R

I am still using an "old" Macbook C2D 2GHz (Late 2006) and ever since I have this Macbook I know that the overheating is not a problem of Apple but of ADOBE'S FLASH PLAYER. This problem is wide spread over the internet and you can find numerous entries about the same issue. I have seen many other people with the same model, maybe 1 year later, but any time you ask them what happens when watching Flash Videos (Youtube etc.) they all tell you the same thing that the fan is going up and not going down after you have stopped the Flash Video from playing. The issue happens on Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. When you take a look at the activity monitor, you can see that as soon as the Flash Video starts the CPU goes up and Safari takes up to 100% of usage. Firefox, Opera, Camino or else can bring little improvement in the COU usage, but not as to prevent the CPU from getting so hot. Without Coolbook, your fan goes to 6200rpm very quick when Flash Video is playing. But with Coolbook being installed this does not happen, and thus prevents your Macbook from overheating. Without Coolbook my Macbook gets up to 80 or even 85° C (176° to 185° Fahrenheit) when watching high resolution Flash Videos. With Coolbook it does not go beyond 70° C (158° Fahrenheit).

You say this problem is one that needs attention, well it does, but if you go to an Apple Store and show them what happens to the CPU usage when playing Flash Content they will tell you that this is just the way it is right now. I have just tested this on one of the new Macbooks and the CPU temperature got up to 185 ° Fahrenheit without the fan starting to go more than 2000rpm, so maybe the newer models' barrier of the CPU's temperature to be so hot as to make the fan run has been risen, because with my Macbook's generation models the fan starts running faster if your temperature goes over 65 ° (149° Fahrenheit). You can try this all for yourself in the activity monitor, maybe ask an Apple Expert in an Apple Store, they will all tell you that this is an overheating problem due to the bad Flash Player of Adobe and can't thus be fixed right now. But because Flash Content is all over the web, people like me do have a "little" solution for right now, thanks Coolbook, because otherwise normal browsing would mean to have a fan running most of the time.

Problem with Coolbook after 10.6.2 update, can't reinstall it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.