Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hostname change after 10.6 upgrade

Hi there,

I found that after installing the 10.6 upgrade to my 10.5 OD master, that at some point the host name for the server got changed. I'm not sure if this happened immediately after the update or after rebinding the server to Active Directory which I found was necessary afterwards to make my nested AD groups show up in WGM.

I know that when binding to AD, the AD plugin likes to set and computer account name I have with dashes - to underscores instead _ so I'm not sure if that's when the error occurred as my master has (or should have) a dashed hostname.

The Windows domain is supplying the DNS and the DNS hostname is correct my-server.mydomain.com, however the server thinks it's hostname is my_server.mydomain.com and is throwing out all sorts of kerberos errors.

I've used changeip -checkhostname to verify this is what's happening and it returns:

Primary address = 10.30.1.10

Current HostName = my_server.mydomain.com
DNS HostName = my-server.mydomain.com

To fix the hostname please run /usr/sbin/changeip for your system with the
appropriate directory with the following values

/usr/sbin/changeip 10.30.1.10 10.30.1.10 my_server.mydomain.com my-server.mydomain.com

dirserv:success = "success"

What I want to know is, if I run the suggested command will it change the server hostname and not the DNS hostname?

For some reason I also discovered yesterday that the Windows DNS was also returning the server's name as my_server.mydomain.com and consequently clients bound to the server couldn't find it, the Windows admin says that the server must have updated it's own DNS which doesn't seem to be the default behaviour of our 10.5 machines, but might be the default behaviour of 10.6!?

Thanks in advance!!

Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 9, 2009 11:21 PM

2 replies

Hostname change after 10.6 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.