Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcut for 'Show Character Viewer'

Does anyone know how to assign a keyboard shortcut for 'Show Character Viewer'? (used to be called the character palette). Assigning one under System Preferences doesn't seem to take.

If I had a script that made the viewer display, I could assign a shortcut to that script, which might be a useful workaround..anyone know of such a script?

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), intel processor

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 10:23 AM

I don't believe there is any nice way to do that. the only way I can think of is by making a script that uses GUI scripting. it would simulate going to the menu bar and selecting 'Show Character Viewer' from the input menu. you can then assign a shortcut to such script. this will work but it's quite ugly. maybe somebody else has a better idea...
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2009 10:23 AM in response to spiff101

I don't believe there is any nice way to do that. the only way I can think of is by making a script that uses GUI scripting. it would simulate going to the menu bar and selecting 'Show Character Viewer' from the input menu. you can then assign a shortcut to such script. this will work but it's quite ugly. maybe somebody else has a better idea...

Nov 10, 2009 11:22 AM in response to Malcolm Rayfield

Malcolm Rayfield wrote:
Command-Option-T brings up the character Viewer in many applications. It's in the "Edit" menu as "Special Characters".

now I feel sheepish. 😉 that of course is the right thing to do.
to original poster: Malcom's method will work in iwork apps too. that command is present in all iwork apps in the Edit menu. you just need to bind a keyboard shortcut to it in system preferences->keyboard->keyboard shortcuts->applications.

Keyboard shortcut for 'Show Character Viewer'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.