Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" iMac non-native resolutions

So, I'm doing what a lot of folks here are doing right now, (im)patiently waiting for my new quad core 27" iMac to ship. In the meantime, I've been doing some thinking. I intend to game quite a bit on this new system, and I'm concerned about the resolution of the screen. Obviously, even with the HD4850, most games are not going to tolerate the massive resolution required of this huge screen. So obviously, to maintain decent frame rates, I'm going to have to lower the resolution. Now, I don't know much about LCD technology, but what I've heard is that how good the image quality is at non-native resolutions is dependent on the hardware in the LCD panel. From what I've heard, this is an excellent display, with all the latest bells and whistles.

So, my question, for anybody that has experience with this particular screen, or another like it, how does it handle non-native resolutions? Does it look good? Abysmal? Somewhere in between? And, if I'm going to play in a non-native resolution, I suppose my best choices would be 1920x1080 (3/4 res), or 1280x720 (1/2 res). Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and I hope this makes for some good discussion!

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 12:04 PM

4 replies

Nov 13, 2009 4:26 PM in response to LayzieGTP

It looks great. I have the 27" dual core which is the same screen. Obviously anything less than 2560x1440 resolution is going to be an interpolated resolution but the screen is extremely high quality and with that kind of pixel density to work with it's easy to make the screen look great.

Is it as tack sharp as native resolution? No, but it still looks great. I've tried 1600x900 and 1920x1200 modes which are the same 16:9 format as the native res and they look stunning even on the desktop. No worries with your gaming. Enjoy!

James

27" iMac non-native resolutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.