Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Media in Safari No Longer Allows "Save As"

Recently I no longer am given the option to "Save As" from QuickTime embedded media while using Safari. If I use FireFox it works fine, but not Safari.

I'm assuming there is some sort of setting or plugin that must have recently been moved or erased.

Any suggestions?

I am using QuicKTime Pro and Safari 4.0.3 BTW. Thanks!

Mac Pro 2x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xenon, 8GB Memory 4 TB HDD, 30" Cinema Display, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Final Cut Pro Studio 6.0.6 - QuickTime Pro 7.6.2

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 8:55 PM

11 replies

Nov 16, 2009 12:26 AM in response to kdengs

Hi Kdengs,

Yeah, same problem here. First noticed this issue one or two Safari updates ago, but have not been able to fix with either Safari prefs or Quicktime prefs. Kind of a let down, I'm sure you'll agree, considering that we've been forced to use another company's product to support Apple software.

But seriously, here I am posting to Apple's "Safari for Mac" forum via another company's browser. This is, of course, not only ironic but a real inconvenience to me personally, because I've been forced to browse the web without the luxury of Apple's greatest contribution to web browsing yet... I am speaking, of course, of the sexy "Show Top Sites" grid view feature built into Safari. I'm not sure I'll be able to manage much longer without that feature, but I will try.

So anyway, like you, I too have been forced to use Firefox while I patiently wait for the folks at Apple to fix this Quicktime plug-in bug. Maybe they'll get around to it with the next Safari update. Was hoping this latest 4.0.4 update would have addressed the issue, but nope, not even a bulletin acknowledging that the issue exists, and that Apple engineers are on it. Please stand by. Working...

Hey, I just thought of something... maybe the Apple engineers have no idea? I mean, maybe the good folks at Apple just don't realize that their software no longer works? Hmm, I guess I could call someone over there and tell them, y'know, just in case they haven't noticed or are distracted with something really important, like what color the next new iPod nano will be. Yeah, I guess I could call them, but have you ever tried to call Apple? I think I'd rather crawl through broken glass on my hands and knees and try and get some of my embezzled retirement money back from Bernie Madoff.

But all kidding aside, that surely must be the problem. It must be an oversight, right? Otherwise what kind of message would that send to loyal Apple customers? I mean, can you imagine Apple saying to their customers, "Just use Firefox instead of Safari, it works fine, and it still supports the "save as" feature for our quicktime plug-in from within the browser." No sir, that may seem like a good idea to some people, but to me that just doesn't make any sense at all. I mean, if Apple wanted me to use Firefox instead of Safari, they could just send me an email and tell me, right?

Anyway, here's what I can only guess must be the correct solution to your issue. Just stick with the Firefox browser. That's what I've been doing, and honestly I've grown quite fond of it's straight-forward... well, functionality. Who knows, if Firefox continues to work better with Apple products better than Safari, I might never go back.

Good luck.

Dec 14, 2009 8:48 PM in response to wormsintheapple

Well the problem is that I actively use Mobile Me to sync both of my Macs and my iPhone/iPod Touch (including Safari bookmarks, which are REALLY important to me) If I start using FireFox I won't have the bookmarks convenience etc. I like how FireFox is built with add-on components and such, but really choose to stick with Safari for this bookmark issue alone if anything.

I feel like this issue has to be solvable...

Feb 14, 2010 6:40 AM in response to Judy

Hi,

I got the same problem, and looks like I found a workaround.

Copy the link of the wanted file (http... ... .mp3 on my own) and go to the download window of safari and do a paste. The download starts.

I'm happy again now, but IMHO, that's definetly not as obvious as the mac way of life used to be :-/.

Hope this helps.

(solution found from http://waffle.wootest.net/2009/06/14/qt-x/)

Feb 15, 2010 3:56 PM in response to Judy

I just found out that the inspect element menu choice does not exist for everyone.
I have no idea where it came from on my Mac.
So I guess that is not any help.

But, this works:
If I have the movie link in the address bar, and go back one level to the previous /, that gets me to the directory holding the movie. If I then right click on the movie name, I get the save as menu choices.

Feb 16, 2010 4:29 AM in response to Judy

{quote:title=Judy wrote:}If I have the movie link in the address bar, and go back one level to the previous /, that gets me to the directory holding the movie. If I then right click on the movie name, I get the save as menu choices.{quote}Yes, that works in your case, but not every website allow you access to this level.

QuickTime Media in Safari No Longer Allows "Save As"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.