Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover deleted user account

I think i already know the answer to this but thought would throw it out here for suggestions.

I recently bought a new Mac and set it up fine. When it came to migrating all my files from my MacBook, the option i wanted was to use the migration assistant, which of course creates a "new" user account, ie my previous user account. I did this with the intention of deleting the user account created when i set up the Mac.

However, at some point i transferred a bunch of iMovie files over from my external HD which i was planning to use as my time machine backup drive. I dont think i did anything to transfer these files to the account created by migration assistant (i did with my iPhoto library which was also on the the external HD!). In my haste and excitement i deleted the user account and now i have lost my iMovie files (yes I formatted the external HD).

I did a full deletion of the account (ie dont save the files etc) so I expect that those files are now gone. I presume the only way to recover them would be some specific file recovery software? Its not a big deal as i still have all the original footage and copies of the movies on DVD (just not in iMovie format) but wanted to ask.

Paul

Macbook Core Duo 2, iMac 21.5" (2009), Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 9:12 AM

Hi

If you did not create a disk image of the user folder then it will be gone , just check in the users folder make sure it not in any folder called "Deleted Users" , if there is not one then its gone im afraid.

You could try data recovery , i would recommend Data Rescue , but if you have been using the mac since it may not be able to recover much if anything. I think you can grab a demo and try it however.

Cheers
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2009 9:12 AM in response to Paul J. Hart

Hi

If you did not create a disk image of the user folder then it will be gone , just check in the users folder make sure it not in any folder called "Deleted Users" , if there is not one then its gone im afraid.

You could try data recovery , i would recommend Data Rescue , but if you have been using the mac since it may not be able to recover much if anything. I think you can grab a demo and try it however.

Cheers

Recover deleted user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.