Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small plastic spheres falling out of macbook pro?

It sounds really weird, but this is the fourth time I have noticed a tiny transparent sphere sitting on the desk next to my macbook. I can't tell where they come from, but it doesn't appear to be affecting the laptop's performance. I'm just really confused as to what they are. They're about an eighth of an inch in diameter. Definitely falling out of the computer because I've been at a different location each time I've noticed them. Any insight?

Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 1:46 AM

Definitely no sign of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds in the vicinity, SgtPepper? No frogs or sturgeon in the area either? Do you have a Western Digital "Caviar" drive installed perchance? 😉

Sorry to be flippant, but how bizarre!

More seriously all I can think of are those sachets of desiccant that are sometimes packed with electronic components?

Cheers

Rod
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2009 1:46 AM in response to SgtPepper14

Definitely no sign of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds in the vicinity, SgtPepper? No frogs or sturgeon in the area either? Do you have a Western Digital "Caviar" drive installed perchance? 😉

Sorry to be flippant, but how bizarre!

More seriously all I can think of are those sachets of desiccant that are sometimes packed with electronic components?

Cheers

Rod

Nov 12, 2009 2:12 PM in response to SgtPepper14

How old is the computer, SgtPepper?

If it is new, I'd be heading to an Apple dealer and asking that it be taken apart to have any more of the offending little blighters removed under warranty.

If it is older I'd be wondering whether a young child , perhaps, has had access to the computer and been "posting" the beads in through the drive slot or some such (such things have been reported here before, though not with silica beads).

Regardless , if the beads are definitely coming out of the computer they need to be cleaned out, especially if they are in something mechanical like the optical drive.

Cheers

Rod

Nov 12, 2009 3:28 PM in response to SgtPepper14

Hi,

Just read the topic and would like to add my partner has a PC laptop and the same thing is happening to that too ! I took the bottom case off and there is no silica gel packs or the like inside it ?! started with one or two spheres and carried on over a no. of weeks until about 10/12 fell out some only half spheres ! Laptop still works great and fan still runs so I would love to know what they are.

Custom mini.

Nov 12, 2009 4:36 PM in response to custom mini

silica beads are used as a desiccant for the storage of all sorts of electronic componentry, custom mini.

It doesn't always come in neat packages either. My guess in both these cases is that some have simply been missed during the preparation of components during the assembly of the computer, or somehow got loose in the factory and found their way into places they shouldn't be..

Cheers

Rod

Small plastic spheres falling out of macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.