Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newertech Voyager - paging owners

I have a question for owners of the Newertech Voyager docking stations :

The eject handle connects to a lever inside the case, which has a raised square piece of metal at its end; this piece is pushing the harddrives up from the bottom of the drive bay (hope that makes sense).

In my Voyager Q, that square piece is not flush with the bottom of the bay, even without pushing the handle it sticks out quite a bit , inserted HDDs are resting on it and wiggling around a lot, assumably having lead to the serious Firewire issues I have had lately (other FW drives disconnecting, FW bus crashing completely, all sorts of crazy stuff when the Voyager was/became connected).

Well, I opened the thing and removed the whole lever, and all is good , no more trouble.

Just wondering, do you have that lever sticking out as well ?

Mac Pro 2.8 DP / MBP 2.5 Matte / iMac G5 20", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 1:11 PM

9 replies

Nov 12, 2009 11:39 PM in response to thanon

in my Q, that lever thing is plastic throughout, no metal.

i rarely even use the handle lever. i usually just pull the drive straight out.

one of the most useful things ive ever bought. Like a bigger, faster, more versatile and bootable USB key.

i dont know what king of bridge is used but ive had no problems using the eSata and firewire.

Nov 13, 2009 8:57 AM in response to l_elephant

Thanks for the reply ; I agree the Voyager Q is a great device. There are other docking stations, but FW 800 puts it in a different league when you are moving large files around a lot.

To clarify my original question, here is an image of the whole lever assembly (sorry for the copy/paste) -->

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5608/levw.jpg

To the left , you can see the sqare part, that - in my Voyager - sticks out of the bottom of the drive bay (without the lever being pushed down), causing severe stability and connection issues.

Is yours flush with the bottom, or does it protude as well ?

Does

Nov 13, 2009 12:50 PM in response to thanon

No protrusion here, still it doesn't sit in there like rock solid but it doesn't need to. Did you get it at OWC? I'd give 'em a call and replace it if it's bothersome to you.

OT a little, I got a portable battery operated fan (Cool It® Personal Fan at Brookstone) to use with the dock because the drive would get uncomfortably hot.

Message was edited by: PS1

Nov 14, 2009 9:54 AM in response to l_elephant

Thanks again - and I appreciate the image !

My lever seems different from what you guys have, that solves it .
And it is actually plastic, I got that wrong there.

My drives were 'balancing' in that square piece, and obviously not properly connecting .

After removing the whole thing, the HDDs sit flush on the bottom of the bay, and connect just fine (most times).

I'll get in touch with Newertech to see if they can just send me a new lever; apart from me being in Germany right now (purchased it at tecserve in NYC) , sending the Voyager back and forth is just too much hassle for a part that I don't use to begin with.

As for heat, the drives do get a little hot, but seem to be doing fine; even when I watch movies from them or move 20-30GB worth of files at once, they still feel only slightly hot to the touch.

Dec 18, 2009 8:23 AM in response to thanon

thanon,

I'm in the exact same situation as you.

Have a Newertech Voyager Q4 docking station with a protruding release lever. It looks pretty much like the one in your picture but hast some transparent plastic on top. And yes, drives are wiggling back and forth sitting on this lever. Some older drives even don't get any connection at all unless I press them down firmly into the docking station. As soon as I remove the pressure, the drive gets disconnected again. Don't feel save in using my harddrives with the Voyager currently.
I'm too located in Germany and got the Voyager directly from OWC, so returning it for a replacement is difficult due to shipping costs.

It seems, Newertech is aware of the issue and changed the design.

Did you contact Newertech? What was the result? Did they send you a new lever?

I'm waiting for a reply from OWC for over a week and now contacted Newertech two days ago. Well it is holiday season, so they might be a busy ... :-/

Peter

Dec 18, 2009 9:37 AM in response to Peter Gutbrod

Hi guys,

I ordered a Voyager Q from The Bookyard Ltd. (the only UK stockist) yesterday, and, because I needed it urgently, I paid for next day delivery.

No problem there - it was delivered early this afternoon.

However, I have been unable to use it because the power cable to the AC adapter is fitted with a plug with 2 flat prongs with holes, which does not comply with the UK standard.

Other products I have purchased, with plugs which did not comply with the UK standard, have always included some form of adapter to convert the fitting to a UK standard 13 amp 3 prong plug. It seems incomprehensible that Newertech have not done the same, before exporting the Voyager Qs!

I immediately submitted an online request to The Bookyard, asking them to send me an appropriate adapter, but, although my submission was acknowledged, I have not received a reply. So I emailed them over 2 hours later, and I am still waiting for a response.

As I live in "the sticks", there is nowhere locally where I can buy an adapter. I have looked on line, and have found a suitable adapters at Both Lindy and Amazon UK, but the only way I can get a guaranteed delivery before Christmas to to pay for Express Delivery, and I don't see why I should have to do that.

If The Bookyard does not reply to my online submission or email, nor send me an adapter before Christmas, then I am inclined to tell them to collect the Voyager Q, and to refund my payment, especially now that I have read about some of your problems.

I don't know whether or not there is a problem with the lever on my Voyager Q , because I am leaving it in its sealed bag until this matter is resolved one way or the other.

Fortunately, The Bookyard will have no alternative but to accept the Voyager Q back, because it is illegal in the UK to sell an electrical appliance which does not conform to the UK standard, and all items must be either fitted with a UK standard 13 amp 3 prong plug, or supplied with an adapter to convert it to that standard. The only exception is electric shavers, for which a special 13amp 3 prong plug with a 2 hole adaptor has to be purchased, and the Voyager Q's power supply plug is not compatible with that either.

Fortunately, I recently purchased an ONNTO Data Tale TQ-M12H single external enclosure, with 2 FW800 ports, and 1 each of eSATA, FW400 & USB2.0, and so I can use that if necessary. It won't be as quick to change over disks as a caddy, but it is still much quicker than any other external hard drive enclosure which I have come across. It is much better made than the Voyager Q too!

http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Hard-Drive-Cases/sc884/p1332.aspx
http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/External-Hard-Drives/Hard-Drive-Cradles/sc883/p877 .aspx

The above links give details of the ONNTO Data Tale, and an alternative caddy to the Voyager Q. Both have quad interfaces, including FW800.

Dec 18, 2009 10:06 AM in response to Peter Gutbrod

So I'm not the only one...

I haven't contacted NewerTech yet, I don't need the lever anyway.

The whole lever can be removed by taking the casing apart; pull off the plastic feet to access the screws holding it together.
When open, the interface-chip-board (or such) needs to be taken off as well, then the whole lever assembly can be pried out.

Needless to say, try at your own risk, and kiss your warranty goodby 😉 .

Pretty poor design for a hundred bucks, I must say, especially as the flaw in my model is so obvious .
A USB-Sata docking station can be had for 20-30 euros, but I wanted Firewire speed and convenience. Those Oxford FW interfaces must cost a fortune...

Now that it works it's great, but I don't think Newertech will get any of my business again.

Newertech Voyager - paging owners

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.