Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not verify remote passcode

iTunes recognizes my iPhone, but when i enter the passcode, it spins, error beeps and the displays four empty boxes. What can I do to get iTunes to recognize the remote? Any help is appreciated.

More info
1. This worked perfectly the first time I used it 2 days ago. I have not updated any software since then.
2. I can link my iPhone remote to another Mac in my house.
3. The other Mac and another iPhone remote work fine.
4. I can not link the other iPhone to my computer.
4. I have restarted my computer.
4. I have trashed iTunes plists.
5. Firewall is on, but set to allow all incoming iTunes connections. I also shut the firewall off completely, but it did not work either.
6. Look for remotes is checked in preferences.
7. I also tried clicking forget remotes, and now it says that no remotes are connected.

MBP 15", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 5:49 PM

12 replies

Nov 15, 2009 12:55 AM in response to VHAJR

VHAJR,
I did nothing, but the next day I tried one more time, and iTunes responded to the iPhone's remote application and accepted the 4 digit passcode. I have no idea why this happened. No idea why it stopped working in the first place and no idea why it starting working again.

Let us know if it all the sudden starts to work again. Very frustrating to me. Sorry I can't provide more help. I have not discovered the cause of my problem.

Nov 20, 2009 5:48 PM in response to Peter Thomson

I have this exact problem, except that iTunes has never accepted the 4-digit passcode supplied by the Remote app on my iPhone. Firewall turned off, no difference.

This is an iPhone 3GS running 3.1.2 syncing to 9.0.2.25. Just got the latest Remote app 1.3.3(4), hoping something would change, but no doing. Strange that the DJ function works, just no "vanilla" control of iTunes.

Sad.

Nov 20, 2009 7:40 PM in response to ibcoleman

Two days later and can no longer connect to the computer with the remote. In addition, iTunes can not find my Airport Express anymore. Actually, the AIrport utility can not connect either, and to get them to talk I need to do a manual reset.

Does anyone with networking experience know if this could be related to the IP Address that get assigned to devices on my network. Like if those numbers get changed somewhere (which I know little about, so don't even know why they would) does this mess things up?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Nov 21, 2009 4:53 PM in response to ibcoleman

I have the exact same problem. i updated to the latest itunes , and the latest iphone sofware, then downloaded the remote app, occasionally itunes finds my iphone 3gs and i enter the passcode, nothing happens it either doesnt accept it, and asks again, or the device dissapears off itunes, arrggh gods sake apple, sort it out.

Dec 5, 2009 6:27 AM in response to Peter Thomson

I've just had the same problem and thought I'd throw in what solved it for me:

Running iTunes 9.02 on two Mac Mini's in my house (both running Leopard 10.6.2). One paired up with the iPhone remote straight away, but the other would always lock up after entering the 4 digit code.

They're both connected to the same network in the same way (ethernet), firewall and all other sharing settings were identical on both machines. I even unpaired and re-paired from the working machine to check that it really was fine.

I tried just about everything:
- playing around with just about every security setting
- restarting the machine / router
- restarting the iPhone
- trying to connect the iphone over an adhoc wifi network
- checking disk permissions with Disk Utility
- deleting all iTunes preference files and starting again

In the end I finally solved it this morning -- It turns out there was something wrong with my iTunes Library itself. If I moved my existing library files out of the iTunes folder and restarted iTunes (to create a new, empty library), the pairing worked straight away! But as soon as I put the old library files back into place, iTunes would again lock up when I attempt to use the Remote app.

So, the solution for me has been to create a new Library and re-import all my music / podcasts (which isn't too much of an issue for me). Remote App is now working flawlessly, as it was on my other Mac from the beginning!

Hope that might be of use to someone....

Cheers,
John

Jan 5, 2010 9:43 AM in response to johnm1403

Hi John,

I've tried everything else suggested, but nothing worked. Then I read your post. I tried pairing the iPhone remote with my MacBook iTunes library, and it worked right away. So I think I have the same problem as you.

If I create a new library and re-import my music, won't I lose all of my ratings, playlists, etc.? That would be a disaster! There's got to be some other way...

Feb 20, 2010 7:21 PM in response to Peter Thomson

OK. Just piling on. Same issues for me. Here are my details.

Remote (app, v 1.3.3. (4)) from iPhone (mine and the lovely and talented spouse's) connects instantly to each of our MacBook Pro libraries but fails to connect to new Mac Mini with error on iPhone - times out (?), sometimes it goes back to prompt. Sometimes I see message on iPhone about unable to contact device, check firewall settings - (or whatever it was - not seeing it as I write this).

All Apple hardware - Mac Book Pros, Mac Mini, Airport Extreme and Airport Express.

Interesting observations:
1 - when adding Mac Mini library, iPhone device shows up immediately on Mac Mini's iTunes Device list and prompts for passcode. But eventually times out (?) and goes back to prompt.
2 - removed Mac Mini library and recreated with single Mp3 song - same failure behavior. (Can't start sequence if no library.)
3 - same version of iTunes on all three Mac's and two iPhones and Remote app.
4 - had some problems enabling iTunes account on Mac Mini, but it eventually (a week later) enabled after I tried it again, and again. Did nothing differently this time, that I can discern.

Summary: everything works as advertised except Mac Mini appears unable to connect back to iPhone Remote app to verify code.

Feb 27, 2010 11:58 AM in response to homostoicus

FIXED: I finally got my iPhone Remote app to pair with my MacMini. Basically, I powered off everything, took my Airport Express offline, hard-reset the iPhone, rebooted the AirPort Extreme, etc. etc. and brought up just the minimum I needed in order of dependence, letting each complete initialization before starting the next - Airport Extreme, MacMini and iPhone.

I can't say what actually made it work (though I'd bet rebooting the AirportExtreme was it alone), because I have changed and reset just about everything - mucked with Firewall settings, renamed devices, sharing settings, ad nauseum.

Can not verify remote passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.