Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with deleting photos in iPhoto

Until recently when deleting a photo in iPhoto, the screen advanced automatically to the next photo having moved the photo to trash. Now the deleted photo remains displayed on screen, and I have to press the right cursor key to advance to the next photo. (The photo is indeed deleted which I can check pressing the left cursor key). This new behaviour is inconvenient and annoying.

I have just tested the same facility on my Macbook, and the original behaviour, i.e. moving to the next picture after deletion works fine.

Am I missing something?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 7:07 AM

10 replies

Nov 15, 2009 6:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

OK. Thanks.

On my set up which if fully up to date there is no "backup" option when you launch with the option key. There is only a list of photo libraries and an option to create a new library. (I could create a new library and transfer all my photos to it I suppose.)

I copied my Iphoto library which is in the Pictures folder (use Finder) to the desktop just for extra safety.

My iPhoto help says use either Time Machine or the Backup utility, which can be found in Applications.

Nov 16, 2009 4:24 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks again TD.

I have now done a complete rebuild, i.e ticked every box in the rebuild options.

The problem ( which I can live with) persists. When deleting a photo the display does not skip to the next photo. It stays on the deleted photo and you must move to the next photo in the Event with the right cursor key. Having said that the photo is in act deleted properly

I suspect this is an Apple software problem possibly associated with size : 11200 photos 480 events, and 180GB in total.

Maybe Apple read these forums, else I will find a way of reporting to them direct.

Many thanks

Nov 16, 2009 4:42 AM in response to sirslabknit

That's a large library but iPhoto is rated for more than twice that - i.e. 250,000 images.

It suggests to me that there is this minor corruption in the database, and it's in the back up too.

As the library is large you may not want to go for the next stage:

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Nov 17, 2009 4:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence. Thanks a million.

I created a new library with Iphoto Library Manager. And the problem I had has gone. That is, after deletion of a photo the display now displays the next photo.

The process took about 5 hours and my MacPro is the latest. Quite a task.

The process found a few duplicates but I answered yes to import on these. I can deal with them later. Also it failed to import a small number of files saying they were the wrong format. They were scanned images. No problem with those.

Nor is a problem that books, slideshows or calendars do not appear.

I like the look of the software iPhoto Library Manager. I think I may use it to separate photos into "Good" and "Others".

Thanks again

John Ellis

Problem with deleting photos in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.