Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard questions (2) - smaller (now standard) keyboard

Questions re Apple's (now standard) smaller keyboard.

The standard keyboard now offered by Apple these days lacks numeric keys and other features of the extended keyboard that has been around for years. I do not need the stand-alone numeric keys, but there are two missing function keys that I do miss.

1. I need a "Scroll Lock" key as found on PC keyboards in order to switch between my MacMini and a Compaq Presario using a common monitor and a KVM switch accessory. Switching from one computer to the other requires two taps on the "Scroll Lock" key.

2. The forward "Delete" key. The "Delete" key on the standard Apple keyboard deletes from right to left. The extended keyboard has a "Backspace" key for that purpose and also provides a "Delete" key that deletes from left to right. This is very convenient.

With regard to #1, the Apple Preferences panel allows the keyboard to use the function keys (1-12) directly or indirectly, but as indicated, I also need a scroll lock key and/or function. And the second "Delete" key is missing in action.

Is there any workaround to make these two missing keys active on the standard keyboard? Scripts or whatnot?

Thanks.

iMac Leopard, Mac OS X (10.5.8), AirPort Extreme

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 7:08 AM

Does this help? Still waiting for my new Imac so can't try it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/cdb_winkeys.html
12 replies

Nov 14, 2009 7:19 AM in response to Davegt

Davegt, thanks so much for that link! I found both of the issues discussed (one solved!), but one is still problematic. For "forward delete", they offer "Fn-Delete" and that worked. Yay! 🙂 But for scroll lock, they offered "Control-F14." This is a problem because the smaller keyboard only has F1 - F12. I can't find an F-14. Do you know where it might be...?

Nov 14, 2009 8:25 AM in response to Artsy Sue

Ah now what do you call the shift key on a Mac. Haven't got mine yet. It is still in Shanghai I think. It is the key you press to get capital letters. Press control and shift and F2 at the same time. On a PC shift plus F2 changes F2 to F14. So by pressing all three keys I hope you would get Control plus F14. As I don't have my Imac yet I can't try out before suggesting it! I hope that makes sense.

Nov 14, 2009 4:11 PM in response to Davegt

Davegt wrote:
... Press control and shift and F2 at the same time. On a PC shift plus F2 changes F2 to F14. So by pressing all three keys I hope you would get Control plus F14.

Well, we tried that -- it certainly sounded right -- but nothing happened. With the extended keyboard, you tapped the "Scroll Lock" twice, so my husband tried doing it once, twice -- nothing. Maybe there are others out there who will take pity on us. 🙂 But thank you, Dave, for your efforts!

Nov 14, 2009 4:32 PM in response to luvlabs

luvlabs wrote:
You do know that you can get the new iMac with the wired, extended keyboard? No charge, just specify it when you buy your computer.

That only works on a online order. I bought my iMac at the Apple store in Portland and and asked for the extended keyboard, only to be told no.

I tried the "kiddy" keyboard for a few days and then "shelfed" it for an old USB keyboard that works. I'm asking Santa for the Apple extended keyboard for Christmas.

Nov 14, 2009 5:22 PM in response to luvlabs

Thanks for the suggestion, but my husband bought this smaller keyboard specifically for a space problem -- the extended keyboard just doesn't fit his space. He can switch back and forth between his two computers, but he has to turn one off and the other on. With the double-tap of the "Scroll Lock" key, both computers could stay on, and he'd go from one to the other. Quite elegant. I guess we'll wait to see if someone else has a solution. [Up to now he's been using a PC keyboard that was "small" but had the requisite keys. I think it died - which is why he got the mac keyboard. Oh well...]

Thanks, Dave, luvlabs and Macaby!

keyboard questions (2) - smaller (now standard) keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.