Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Mac Pro shuts down after setting up RAID (HELP!)

1477 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2009 11:03 AM by macboy2000 RSS
macboy2000 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 14, 2009 10:07 AM
So, I recently purchased a rev 1 Mac Pro and decided to setup a RAID using 4 750gb WD drives. I am not using a RAID card, simply using Disk Utility.

I first combined drives in bays 1 and 2 (striped) and then combined drives in bays 3 and 4 (striped) to give me essentially two 1.5tb drives.

I then created a mirrored RAID using the two striped raids so that I would have the speed of a striped RAID with the safety of a mirrored RAID.

Once I did this, it showed up as one hard disk on my desktop (I was booting with an external). I then cloned my external drive to the new RAID disk on the desktop, and did so successfully.

However, now when I try to boot from the RAID, it chimes, the Apple appears, and then the Mac Pro shuts down. I tried holding down option and all 4 drives appear. I tried booting from a different drive, and the same thing happens. I should also note that the firmware bar flashes on the screen before shutting down (looks like a really long pill).

Any ideas? Does it sound like I did something wrong? I hate to start from scratch, as it takes all night to clone my external drive to the Mac Pro. Thanks for any help.
Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (58,560 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2009 10:51 AM (in response to macboy2000)
    Those things, 0+1, are really not a great or good idea. As you found out. Some work, some don't. And for what?

you could easily have a 3-drive mirror with striped reads, and 4th drive for backup.

Not all drives take to RAID, WD has RE2/3 series along with their Black and standard Blue Caviar.

For system, try WD 10K V-Raptor, then put your media files on 2 x 750s as an idea.
    Mac Pro 8800GT 10K VelociRaptor, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Windows 7 i7 3.2GHz GTX 260-216

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.