Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dialogue box says Safari installed, but nothing there

I cannot install Safari, Quicktime or iTunes on a dell laptop with Vista SP2. The installer says that the programs are installed but there is nothing on the desktop, in the program files, and no search turns anything up. Not sure what is going on. I don't get any error messages, it's just that nothing shows up. Help please.

Dell Studio 14z, Windows Vista

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 1:10 PM

9 replies

Nov 14, 2009 2:51 PM in response to Carl Gipson

Hmmmm. What's the precise text of the messages that the Safari and iTunes installers give you, Carl?

(I can think of few different messages you might be getting here, and I just want to doublecheck those prior to proceeding ... there's a few common ones I can think of, but there are a few rarer ones I want to try to get off the table.)

Message was edited by: b noir

Nov 14, 2009 3:14 PM in response to Carl Gipson

Apple Mobile Device

Hmmmm. I can see how an iTunes install might bail out when doing the Apple Mobile Device Support component of the install, but I'm a bit surprised that Safari would do that.

Doublechecking a couple more things (searching for the "best way in" to the problem) ...

(1) When you do the Safari install, does it bail out at *Apple Application Support* rather than Apple Mobile Device Support?

(2) Are you downloading installers from the website:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

... or are you using Apple Software Update for Windows for the install attempts?

Nov 14, 2009 3:41 PM in response to Carl Gipson

Okay ... the Apple Application Support stage of things might be a factor on the iTunes install here too. Since we're doing installs on a mostly clean machine, I'm suspecting interference from your security software, and we'll try attending to that possibility first.

Probably best to print off a copy of these instructions first, because at one stage of proceedings you won't be able to have a web browser running.

First download and save fresh versions of Safari and iTunes installers to your hard drive. (Don't run the installs on line, and don't start the installs just yet.)

Restart the PC. *Do not open any applications after the restart.* Now disconnect from your network and/or the internet.

Now disable all your security software (firewall, antivirus and antispyware).

Now try a Safari install by doubleclicking on the SafariSetup.exe you downloaded earlier.

If that seems to go through okay, try an iTunes install by doubleclicicking on the iTunesSetup.exe you downloaded earlier.

After the install attempts, reenable your security software prior to reconnecting to your network and/or internet.

Any better luck with those install attempts, Carl? (If you ended up with error messages or install failures again, let us know what they said, or describe to us what seemed to be happening this time around.)

Nov 14, 2009 4:26 PM in response to b noir

Well, tried turning off as many security features as I could find and turned off the network connections, etc. However, same result. I'm supposed to get Windows 7 soon as part of the free upgrades so I think I'll just wait for that and hopefully it will work out. This is my wife's computer anyway. If you have any other tips please let me know but I'm going to set this aside for now before I throw it out the window.

However, this experience has shown me to continue to stick with Apple. Sheesh.

Nov 14, 2009 4:40 PM in response to Carl Gipson

Okay ... when or if you feel like getting back to this, Carl, can you head into your/her "Uninstall a Program" control panel and check to see if there is a version of Apple Application Support already showing up there?

(If you got a QuickTime to install on the PC, it could have gone in then ... if it didn't, I'm afraid her QuickTime won't currently be working, even though QuickTime itself may have installed.)

If it is showing up in there, try uninstalling it. If it seems to uninstall successfully, navigate to *C:\Program files\Common files\Apple\* and delete the "Apple Application Support" you find inside there (if it still exists). Then try the "reboot, don't open, disconnect, disable ..." rigamarole again, and see if you have any better luck.

If, on the other hand, you get an error message when you try to uninstall Apple Application Support, post back to let us know what that one says.

Dialogue box says Safari installed, but nothing there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.