Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new mini w/factory AE/BT, Wired DSL, added AE for stereo? no

I got my new mini with airport express and bluetooth already installed, then got SBC DSL and "hard wired" internet to my mini and my portable G3. all works fine ... now trying to add an airport express at my stereo in the next room, (only about 15' away but can't run wires to it) .... the AE by my stereo flashes yellow,

I tried used using the assistant and the admin utilities but to no avail

no music comes out of the stereo, i've checked the stereo jacks, etc.

do i have to have an internet wired connection to the Airport Express?

when i use the assistant up comes two networks 2Wire258 for my DSL which is really hard wired and then the name i assigned for the AE in the next room

i'm using itunes 5.0 and it works fine to my computer speakers, but don't see the next room speakers in the lower bar either? at one time i did but in my trying to get this working i've lost them??

any help with this supposedly simple hook up would be appreciated??

Posted on Sep 17, 2005 3:40 PM

3 replies

Sep 18, 2005 9:14 AM in response to robert meese

Robert,

You don't need an internet connection to the Airport Express to stream music to it, so that is not your problem.

Plus in the mode you are trying to use the Airport Express (i.e. no internet connected to it) the flashing Amber light is normal. It would only go green if it was connected to the internet.

My suggestion is to reset the Airport Express by pressing the reset button on the Airport Express and then running the Airport Express Setup Assistant again.

All you really need to do is give the Airport Express a name and make sure it is connected to the HiFi.

No need to add it to any networks, etc.

Ian

Sep 18, 2005 4:47 PM in response to Ian Parkinson

Ian, thanks for the advice ... i did a hard reset to factory settings .. then used the assistant to do a new base station, not ready for network connection, etc. with passwords on wireless network and AE station, etc.

actually got some music to come out of the stereo now but it continually cuts out during every track i've tried ... (i used WPA 2 security level) ... not fit to try and listen to ... any suggestions!

thanks

Sep 18, 2005 5:00 PM in response to robert meese

If it now works but you are experiencing dropouts in the music stream, try removing all wireless security from the Airport Express or try using just 128-bit WEP. Using WPA2 introduces a fair bit of processing and data transmission overhead that might make all the difference on a marginal connection. Furthermore, using WPA2 on a wireless link only being used for iTunes streaming (no internet access or file sharing) is really unwarranted.

new mini w/factory AE/BT, Wired DSL, added AE for stereo? no

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.