Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music/Movie issue with 64G Touch

I have a new 64Gb touch. I have a total of 16 Gb± of music, 2 Gb of Podcasts, 4 Gb photos, in other words, I have a lot of space left over -- more than 40Gb.

I attempted to load 2 short (700 Mb each) movies which I had burned to DVD. A window came up that my music would be wiped to load movies. I went ahead and did this and, sure enough, all music was wiped and the videos did not even load, it said that format was not playable on iPod.

What gives here? Is it true that you can't have movies and music on the same device? That seems very unlikely, but as soon as I ticked "Sync Movies" the music was wiped. This would be insane, I mean you rent a movie for a long flight and you can't keep your music -- that would be less than useless.

On the other problem, it was done for HDTV, if that is the issue how do I solve the problem?

Thanks for any assistance.

iMac 24 inch 2.93/MacBook Pro 2.16, Mac OS X (10.6.1), LaCie external in RAID 1 (mirrored) configuration/LaCir backup drive

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 8:19 AM

2 replies

Nov 15, 2009 8:45 AM in response to JohnFreitag

" Is it true that you can't have movies and music on the same device?"

Of course it's not true. You can have movies and music on the ipod.

Were you manually managing music and trying to sync movies? You can only do one or the other sync or manually manage. If you manually manage one, you have to manually manage the other.

"On the other problem, it was done for HDTV, if that is the issue how do I solve the problem?"

Ipod touch does not support HD, you need the SD version in a format compatible with ipod touch. These can be found in the manual.

Dec 18, 2009 7:40 PM in response to roaminggnome

Well your reply apparently answers my question re: the same issue.
My only difference is I got no warning that music would be deleted (at least none that I noticed). I either dragged or 'Add[ed] to Library' a DVD movie to iTunes. Then I synced the movie to the 64gb iPod Touch. As I said, no notice or warning, it just went right into importing/syncing the movie.
I was impressed with the results until I noticed 19gb - or - 4,646 songs were now missing.

Yes, I had turned auto sync off and had iTunes set to 'Manually manage' songs (because the auto-sync when you have beaucoup number of songs is not ideal that I can tell - - I've synced to a playlist that is set to 'Non-Live Update"; however, that playlist keeps adding back songs automatically that I don't want in it or on my iPod).

Here's the kicker - - after the DVD sync deleted all my music, neither the "Manually Manage" or the "Open iTunes Automatically (and sync)" boxes were check-marked. I certainly didn't turn them both off. Is this a bug? I'll report it to Apple as such.

Music/Movie issue with 64G Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.