Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC cannot connect through the Airport Express -- need WEP key

I've had to reformat my wife's PC (haven't been able to convert her yet) but I neglected to copy down all her settings. I can see my wifi network from the PC but it asks me for the WEP key and I dont' know where to find that. I've tried my wireless password but that doesn't work. I've used the airport utility and can see that it's using WPA/WPA2 Personal with a password, but not the key, which I think is a long hexidecimal string.

Where do I find my encryption key?

Rocketman

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 10:20 AM

9 replies

Feb 4, 2010 2:58 PM in response to Rocky Rakoon

I have a similar problem and have been able to find the encryption key, but when i try to enter it into my wife's PC, I'm limited in the number of characters that I can enter, and the string is very long, so I don't know where to stop entering characters, if that makes any sense!

It doesn't seem to work if I just type until I can't fit anymore characters in, and I haven't been able to find any source on the Web to tell me how many characters I should enter into the respective boxes.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Feb 4, 2010 3:05 PM in response to Joseph Rydholm

I'm not up to speed on PCs, but a knowledgeable user who may see this post will want to know what operating system the PC is using. XP SP2, XP SP3, etc.

What router is creating your wireless network?

What security is the router using?

If you have an older PC and a new router, it's possible that devices may not be compatible.

Feb 4, 2010 10:34 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob:

Thanks for replying!

-- My AirPort Extreme is creating the wireless network.
-- Security is WPA/WPA2 Personal
-- My wife's PC is using a Linksys WMP11 wireless-B PCI Adapter
-- Her PC is running Windows XP, SP3. (All recent updates have been installed.)

I went to the Linksys site to download the latest drivers but was given the choice of three versions to download and I didn't want to assume that the latest version was necessarily the best one, so I haven't downloaded anything new for the Linksys product.

Hope the above helps someone offer me some sage advice!

Feb 24, 2010 5:47 PM in response to Joseph Rydholm

Hello - I'm struggling with the same issue. I'm trying to connect a Dell laptop running Windows XP SP3 to my existing airport express. My (wonderful, easy, intuitive) MacBook connects to it just fine - the Dell doesn't even recognize the there is a signal broadcasting right next to it. Grrrr.

I found the WPA Pre-Shared Key but it's longer than what the Windows Network set up is prompting me for.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Kate

May 25, 2010 11:13 AM in response to getak

I'm also having the same problems trying to get my Compaq CQ60-422DX Notebook (Windows 7) to run when I have the Airport Express (802.11n) set to any wireless security setting. However, if I change that setting back to "none" the computer links up fine. It worked with the security set to "WPA/WPA2 Personal" for a few weeks and then just quit. This is my first personal PC and although I used PCs at work for years, I never had any permissions as the system was maintained by a professional staff that locked us out from having access to the system or adding our own software. Therefore, I know very little about working with a PC as the system manager.

Any suggestions for getting my Compaq to link in a more secure mode would be appreciatedwould be appreciated.

jim

PC cannot connect through the Airport Express -- need WEP key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.