Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS Office Mac wreaks havoc with arabic fonts on OSX

i always have this problem when installing the dreaded MS Office for Mac on any OSX system and that is that Arabic fonts that work fine start going haywire because MS Office Mac installs some funky corrupt fonts.

Does anyone know how to go back to the original pre-office installed fonts that came with OSX snow leopard? im guessing i have to use the install discs or something.

i've tried to selectively figure out what Office has installed and remove them and its a pain.

on a related note, will Office do fine if I dont allow it to install its own fonts on my system?

macbook pro 13 unibody, Mac OS X (10.5.8), HTS545050B9SA02

Posted on Nov 16, 2009 2:51 AM

17 replies

Nov 16, 2009 5:24 AM in response to pendolino

i always have this problem when installing the dreaded MS Office for Mac on any OSX system and that is that Arabic fonts that work fine start going haywire because MS Office Mac installs some funky corrupt fonts.

Normally what you are seeing is that OS X uses Windows Arabic fonts (which cannot display connected Arabic on a Mac, except maybe in TextEdit) instead of the Mac fonts. The standard Mac font for Arabic is Geeza Pro, and installing Office should not damage it in any way. You just need to deactivate or remove the Windows Arabic fonts installed by Office.

Nov 16, 2009 8:44 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom - thank you for the useful input and even though Office Mac does not 'damage' the existing font files it does damage my perfectly running setup. the only reason i even install office is to deal with .doc files other people send me since i use other tools to author docs (pages, open office, google, etc) and they dont always render .doc files correctly.

on the point at hand, i did manage to figure something out that seems to have fixed this problem of additional fonts before i checked back and saw all your responses and that was simply to 'trash' a folder in fonts blatantly called 'microsoft'. at least they told me where to find their garbage so i guess they do have a bit of decency left. as soon as i did that my colleagues were able to read the arabic emails i was sending them. i will be further confirming this today and update if need be.

one thing i did try to do but found to be a pain was to go to my time machine backup and figure out what font files the office mac installation had changed in the font folders but realized that the dates were all over the place and there were too many (3 to 5?) font folders on my system. luckily i found the aforementioned 'microsoft' font folder and though to dump it alone.

time machine does not seem to have an easy way to compare previous versions of folders in terms of what contents have changed. that would be a useful feature that i am guessing some enterprising mac developer will come up with at some point.

thanks to everyone else that pitched in as well.

Nov 17, 2009 5:36 AM in response to pendolino

my colleagues were able to read the arabic emails i was sending them.

You mean that your problem was not with display on your own machine but concerned recipients not being able to read your Arabic emails?

If it is not fixed, feel free to send me an example (tom at bluesky dot org). What app do you use to send email? I've never heard of something like that being caused by Office before.

Nov 17, 2009 8:21 PM in response to pendolino

The general approach at this time is to ask if you've checked for any problematic fonts (all languages) with Apple's Font Book (look in the Applications folder). Find and remove all duplicates also.

Start there to be sure all fonts that are in play come out with a clean bill of health.

Don't hesisate to perform wholesale deletion of old and/or little used fonts - be skeptical of anything that has come from Office 2008, including those related to an Equation Editor installation.

By all means be sure any 3rd party apps AND plug-ins are Snow Leopard compatible.

An additional measure is to clear the existing font caches:
http://www.macworld.com/article/139383/2009/03/fontcacheclear.html

That said, 10.6.2 release notes have this to say about fonts:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3874

Fonts fixes provided for:
• an issue with font spacing
• an issue in which some Fonts are missing
• font duplication issues
• an issue with some PostScript Type 1 fonts not working properly

Good luck in any case.

Nov 18, 2009 4:06 AM in response to K T

ok i again think i've resolved this problems by trashing all 'windows truetype fonts' in my main library/fonts folder. so far its worked but what i would rather do is reinstall the pre-office snow leopard fonds. is the only way to extract them from the pkg files in the in install disc as mentioned earlier in this thread?

what about copying the font folders from another snow leopard system?

Nov 18, 2009 5:34 AM in response to pendolino

i've resolved this problems

What is your problem exactly? At first I thought you were not seeing Arabic display properly on your own machine. Then you talked about other people not seeing your emails display properly on their machines. Those are totally different issues with different causes.

If the problem is with display on your machine, feel free to send me a screenshot.

what about copying the font folders from another snow leopard system?

That's worth a try. Here is a list of fonts that normally get installed, in case that helps.

http://www.prepressure.com/fonts/basics/snow-leopard-fonts/list

Nov 18, 2009 10:50 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom - i guess i may have not been clear but i was having problems specifically with Arabic in emails or at least where it was most noticeable. it was also pretty strange and i am not sure if i mentioned this earlier but it is only when i reply in arabic to emails that were originally sent in arabic from the original sender (not me). when i send a new email in Arabic and there is a back and forth subsequently on the same thread the Arabic was appearing fine.

since this was a problem only faced after installing MS Office Mac 2008, I managed to trace it back to the bad fonts that were installed by that program that corrupts some of the Apple-installed fonts. MS fonts on Mac are useless anyways since the Mac Office suite does not support Arabic entirely.

so to cut a long story short, the font issue made a mess of email exchanges typed in Arabic and I've just finished restoring my Time Machine backed-up 'fonts' folders (library, user) and hoping that this resolves the issue once and for all.

i pray that we will one day be fully spared the need to even open a word-formatted document and that's the only reason i installed Office Mac in the first place. i am not saying Word shouldn't exist and that's mainly to provide a challenge to Apple and others but i would sure love to forget about it.

Nov 19, 2009 5:32 AM in response to pendolino

I managed to trace it back to the bad fonts that were installed by that program that corrupts some of the Apple-installed fonts.

I don't know of any way that could happen and have never heard of it happening to anyone before. But if removing Office fonts solves your problem that is the way to go.

If the problem arises again, feel free to email me screenshots of what you are seeing, with info on the apps being used to send and receive mail. Email problems are normally caused by differences in the way Mail and other apps and webmail systems handle encodings and multipart html messages.

Nov 20, 2009 8:22 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

tom -

i am not sure of the specifics but here's some info from a poster on a board:

"2) There is an entirely separate issue about viewing Arabic in Safari. Installing MS Office for Mac also installs Office fonts on your Mac. Two of those fonts (specifically Arial and Times New Roman) will corrupt Safari's ability to display Arabic properly and you will wind up with disjointed Arabic text like ? ? ? instead of ???

To fix this all you need to do is delete the offending fonts from your Mac (go to Library>Preferences>Fonts and simply trash Arial and Times New Roman. Your mac will then revert to using the original versions of those fonts that came with your system -- in other words, you'll still have access to the Arial font in Microsoft Word and other Office apps, but Safari will display Arabic correctly."

http://www.emiratesmac.com/forums/arabic/604-writing-displaying-arabic-my-mac-3. html

and there's some useful information here as well http://www.smi.uib.no/ksv/ArabicMac.html .

are there any other font folders that i should time-machine restore besides the two aptly named ones i mentioned in /Library and /user/Library ?

and on a related note, there was an option in the custom settings of the MS Mac Office installation to install 'fonts' (or was it 'additional fonts' ?) that, in hindsight, maybe i should have unchecked. if i ever have to reinstall office one day i will pay more attention to this as well as have my fonts backed up for sure.

Nov 20, 2009 8:38 PM in response to pendolino

"2) There is an entirely separate issue about viewing Arabic in Safari.

Yes, I covered that issue already in my first message to you in this thread. It is a well known problem for a number of years now.

are there any other font folders that i should time-machine restore besides the two aptly named ones i mentioned in /Library and /user/Library ?

I don't think so. OS X puts its fonts in /Library and System/Library. /user/Library/Fonts is normally empty until the user adds applications or his own fonts.

and on a related note, there was an option in the custom settings of the MS Mac Office installation to install 'fonts' (or was it 'additional fonts' ?) that, in hindsight, maybe i should have unchecked.

I don't know about that. Office fonts can only affect how Safari and sometimes other apps display Arabic. They can't damage Geeza Pro or other Mac fonts that should normally be used to display Arabic. I don't know of any way they can affect how your Arabic emails are displayed on the recipients machine.

MS Office Mac wreaks havoc with arabic fonts on OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.