Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Dropping frames while multiclip editing

1732 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2010 11:13 AM by Broca RSS
Jim Rogalski Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 16, 2009 4:49 PM
Whenever I edit a multiclip it plays for a few seconds and I am able to cut to the different cameras with no problem. BUT...after just 5 seconds or so it drops frames and nearly freezes. Both clips are ProRes 422 and shot from identical cameras.

It's dropping frames on both computers I've worked on: my MacBook Pro, 2.15 Ghz, 2 gigs RAM..AND a MacPro dual 3-ghz, 16 gig RAM machine.

I'm sure it's a setting I'm missing somewhere but can't figure it out. I've tried it with both Safe RT and Unlimited RT checked but it makes no difference.

Any insight greatly appreciated.
  • David S. Level 7 Level 7 (20,630 points)
    Nov 16, 2009 4:53 PM (in response to Jim Rogalski)
    Your dedicated media drive has great effect on editing multiclips using pro res, especially at HD quality.

Using any external drive, FW400 or 800, will cause issues.

What are you using, with what sequence setting, frame rate and pixel grid size for the video

How many streams
    MacPro 2.26Ghz 8-core Nehalem 12 Gbs RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.7), GeForce GT 120 512 MBs RAM 30" ACD
  • Studio X Level 7 Level 7 (26,840 points)
    Nov 17, 2009 6:44 AM (in response to Jim Rogalski)
    So if I have to use a firewire drive for my media, what can I do to stop dropping frames in multicut?

Use a RAID 0 FW 800 drive. It should provide a throughput around 70MB/s. Your FW400 drive is probably producing 30MB/s or less.

Is it an issue with Pro Res? If so, what is the best codec to use for clips that will be multiclipped?

It is an issue with what the hard drive system can provide and the computer can process. ProRes was intended as a lower resolution option to *Uncompressed HD formats*. It is more demanding (heavier bitrate demands on the hard drive) than HDV, AVCHD and the other mpeg based acquisition formats. People like ProRes because it moves them out of a Group of Pictures (GOP) codec to an all "i" frame one at the cost of increased hard drive space and a more demanding throughput.

'd like to get this problem solved as soon as possible and any help will be immensely appreciated.

Convert everything to DV and your drive may function ok.

Get a RAID 0 drive from a manufacturer who makes drive systems for video editing and connect it via FW800.

If you have a computer that allows for external cards, get an esata card and connect an esata RAID 0 device.

Have fun.

x
    512k MacPlus with 40MB external SCSI drive, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier
  • Broca Calculating status...
    Jan 14, 2010 11:13 AM (in response to Jim Rogalski)
    Hi everyone,

I would like to know why I'm having the same problem but with 3x1TB - RAID 0 editing 2 layers HDV1080/60i multiclip?
    The video stuttering when I try to change angles between 2 scenes, so I have to stop the video and play again to change another angle and all over again and again.
    I'm trying many forums and nobody answer me!
    Please, somebody help me, please!!!!
    Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore / 10GB RAM / 3TB (RAID 0) / Matrox MXO2

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.