Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to reformat

Hi there.
Just figured out why i cannot install any Adobe Apps.
My File System is Case-Sensitive.
What is the best way I can reinstall and keep all my settings and documents?
I understand I will have to backup and reformat, But what is the best way to get the Apps and settings back on to my Mac?
Please help ASAP.
Thanks TheTosh

MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 16, 2009 4:49 PM

16 replies

Nov 16, 2009 5:07 PM in response to Lukeintosh

I would start by bootably cloning my internal volume to an external drive. The clone's purposes are to be a backup for the data on your computer, to provide a migration medium after your erase and install, and to play the role of fail-safe device.

Proceed as follows in doing your erase and install:

1. Start up from your Sno install DVD by holding down c when starting up.
2. Choose your language and use the menus at the top of the next screen to start Disk Utility. Use Disk Utility to erase your drive Mac extended. Quit Disk Utility, and continue your installation.
3. At the end of your install, restore your data files, settings, apps, and users from your clone.
4. Use the optional install folder on your Sno DVD to install any items you think you will need. If you want to use any PPC apps, then install Rosetta. And, most install QT7.
5. Repair permissions when you have completed all installations.

Nov 16, 2009 5:08 PM in response to Lukeintosh

Clone with Disk Utility (DU) unless you plan to do a great deal more cloing in the future.

1. Start DU;
2. Make sure you external drive is partitioned GUID;
3. Choose Restore;
4. Drag your internal volume to the source box;
5. Drag your external partition to the destination box;
6. Choose Erase Destination; and
7. Click restore.

It will take an hour more or less. Once the clone is made, start up from it to make sure it is functional.

Nov 16, 2009 5:32 PM in response to Lukeintosh

TheTosh wrote:
Thanks very much.

You are very welcome.

Few more questions.
Should the External be Case Sensitive?

Are you equating case sensitive and journaled. I don't know anything about "case sensitive." If you are equating as I indicated, then no drive has to be journaled.

How do I put the data back on to my internal?

See step 3 in my first longish post.

"3. At the end of your install, restore {or migrate} your data files, settings, apps, and users from your clone." This opportunity will be given to you when you enter the set up assistant. You would chose to migrate from another OS X installation (or some such wording) to migrate you apps, data, settings, and users from the clone.

Thanks so very much again,

I am very glad I could help.

!http://homepage.mac.com/donv1/.Pictures/Vista/HapFceAni3gif.gif!

Nov 16, 2009 5:39 PM in response to donv_the_ghost

"Are you equating case sensitive and journaled. I don't know anything about "case sensitive." If you are equating as I indicated, then no drive has to be journaled."

I Do Not Understand this.
I Reformatted the External Hard Drive as journaled. When I was cloning, The format said it was "case sensitive journaled"

(see pic http://grab.by/BVA)

Message was edited by: TheTosh http://grab.by/BVA

Best way to reformat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.