Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection failed

All of a sudden, I cannot connect to another computer on my home network. I can connect from that computer to my primary, but not the other way. I've run Disk Warrior with no change. I've repaired permissions several times, and I'm wondering if the following "warnings" have something to do with this, and if so, what do I do?

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources /DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Reso urces/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/restore" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/rrestore" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Expansion Slot Utility.app/Contents/Resources/PCIELaneConfigTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/mount_smbfs" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/smbutil" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 5:51 AM

8 replies

Nov 21, 2009 7:39 AM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Here's another clue:

Sometimes when I try to connect, a box will appear which says: "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "afp://(Number)" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)"

The number after afp is one number different than the IP number on the computer I try to connect to. I've tried typing in the correct number in the Go>Connect to Server box, but it won't connect.

Somebody please help!

Nov 22, 2009 6:06 AM in response to peterlemer

When the IP number didn't work, I remembered that each computer has a name, visible when I open the sync window. So I went to the other computer, opened the sync window, found out what that computers name was and typed that into the "connect to server" window on my machine. That did it! Why the IP number didn't work, or how my computer messed up the other computer's name or IP number making it unrecognizable is still a mystery. But I think it happened when I installed the last security update -- not sure about that though, since time had elapsed since I last needed to get to my husband's computer from mine.

Connection failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.