6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2009 9:35 AM by Paul Vail
avideditor Level 2 Level 2 (150 points)
Can I host multiple domain name based email accounts from a single server? (ie. maildomain1.com and maildomain2.com, both with multiple accounts for each domain)

I would be using the mac mini server using a single static ip address.

question is basic, I am a server noob. thanks in advance.

2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 8 GB 800 MHz, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Kona 3, XServe RAID, FCP 7 suite
  • Mark Aman Level 2 Level 2 (330 points)
    Yes you can host multiple domains for both web and mail services.
    I am currently hosting 5 domains.
  • JT Harvey Jr. Level 2 Level 2 (345 points)
    Yes, I am doing it with 10 domains - and quite happy
  • avideditor Level 2 Level 2 (150 points)
    I'd like to post a follow up question:

I might need to host 2 lightly used web sites and email with push to smart phone services. I also need to deploy a "media server" for home use and I am considering using the same mini server to do all of the above. The media server would consist of an iTunes library streaming audio and video content to a pair of laptops over 802.11n, and content to an Apple TV via Gigibit Ethernet, via an Airport Extreme Base Station router.

Currently I have the same media server as a NAS setup using the Airport and a USB connection to a Lacie drive that hold the media. I would rather connect the Lacie via FW 800 to the mini server and serve the volume that way.
    ?
    Am I asking for problems with this scenario? Is there much benefit? Any advice? I am trying to accomplish several things with 1 hardware purchase.

Thanks in advance.
  • JT Harvey Jr. Level 2 Level 2 (345 points)
    It all depends.

Not to be funny, but depending on how much each of the functions is used and how much streaming is being done.

The one drawback to the mini-server is the single NIC. (though I have heard that people have installed additional USB NICs) The other issue would be what would happen if the server failed?

One the other hand, the price-performance-value equation is hard to beat if you are confident with your server-administration capabilities. If the media functions added too many cycles, you could always add an additional mini and be dollars ahead vs. purchasing a full license with a MacPro.

Just my opinion.
  • avideditor Level 2 Level 2 (150 points)
    Solid advice, thanks for your thoughts.
  • Paul Vail Level 1 Level 1 (140 points)
    Certainly, but Apple's implementation of the Mail services means you have to do it Apple's way. I have some notes on setting up and using OSXS in an ISP environment here: http://www.rduonline.com/notes.mgi Be sure to look for differences between 10.5 and 10.6. I've not written up 10.6 yet. You'll also find that there are remarkable oversights in terms of how Apple configures the server and accounts. In 10.5, stuff like email forwarding is broken to a point. Yes, forwarding accounts will work, but they'll also produce errant 550 bounce codes. No config in the SA or WGM seems to fix it -- but hacking the Postfix config files using instructions like http://downloads.topicdesk.com/docs/MakingVirtual_Mail_Users_in_OS_XServer.pdf can make it work.

Apple really could fix all of these and bundle this product into a stellar ISP server tool, but they seem to have blinders on or simply wish to server a slim fraction of the enterprise world. Pity -- it's got such incredible potential.