Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from MacBook Pro to a Printer Connected to the USB Port on A MacG5

November 17, 2009

Apple Tells Me: It is completely valid to connect the HP 4360 printer (not wireless) to the USB Port of my MacG5 and print pages from my MacBook Pro if I select Print Share in the Apple Preferences of my MacG5. The MacBook Pro and MacG5 are connected through a Router and a wired Local Area Network through a Router.

HP Tells Me: Since the D4360 is not a wireless printer and since it is not supported to print from a MacBook Pro on the same wired local area network also connected to a MacG5 computer. In particular, they said that use of the Print Share option on the MacG5 to print from the MacBook Pro will cause damage to the HP D4360 printer or print driver and when this occurs it will invalidate the warranty on the HPD4360.

Questions:

1. Is there any validity to the HP answer on this subject??

My analysis to date says that the Apple statement is 100% true, with the exception that if the driver is damaged it can be restored without any damage to the printer.

2. Is there any documentation of the HP concern?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 17, 2009 4:52 PM

1 reply

Printing from MacBook Pro to a Printer Connected to the USB Port on A MacG5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.