Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

still waiting for root device

A client recently installed Snow Leopard on his Intel iMac, and now is getting the "no sign" on startup. The computer boots in Safe Mode. Booting in Single User mode results in "still waiting for root device" over and over and over. Apple Hardware Test results in no errors, as does Disk Utility's Verify Disk.

The real pain is that the problem is intermittent. I thought I fixed it, then it appeared again, then disappeared. Could this be hardware related? This seems unlikely, since Safe Boot ALWAYS works, but I'm moving the machine around during this, and I though that might be the cause of the intermittence...

Arg!

Help?

24" Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Client Computer

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 3:02 PM

11 replies

Nov 18, 2009 3:56 PM in response to Zarquon42

I don't know why it works in safe mode but not in standard mode. safe mode runs disk repair first and it only loads necessary fonts and kernel extensions. possibly you have some incompatible extensions that are doing it although that appears unlikely to me. you may need to reinstall snow leopard as kappy suggested. but first i would try reblessing the hard drive. that might help with something like this.

try reblessing the drive. boot normally and run the following terminal command (copy and paste please)

sudo bless --folder /System/Library/CoreServices --bootinfo --bootefi

you'll have to enter your admin password (which you won't see). that's normal. then reboot and see what happens.

Message was edited by: V.K.

still waiting for root device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.