Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Licensing question about OS X Server

I get a little confused about Apple's licensing of OS X Server.

If we buy a license for OS X Server, let's say it's a 10 client license, does that mean that I can create a bootable OS X image and install it onto 10 OS X clients without buying a license for each system individually, or does it mean that I have a license for one server that allows up to 10 clients to connect to it but each of the clients must have it's own, unique copy of OS X installed on it?

The reason I get confused is probably because of netboot images. To me, the presence of a netboot image that can be downloaded and used by a system on a network essentially says "Yes, you can generate an OS X image and distribute it to client systems" because clearly, I assume, every time someone starts a netboot client they cannot realistically download the entire OS. I have to assume that the client isn't created to be totally useless without a server present, after all, what if the server goes down? Does everyone just twiddle their thumbs waiting for it to come back up?

I'm not terribly familiar with any of this, although our (small) company has recently acquired a copy of OS X Tiger Server with a 10 client license. If we add more systems, do we need to get an OS X license for each of them OUTSIDE of the Server, or does the server license provide a provision for us to install a copy of OS X on each of them.

I hope I'm clear on this question, as "legal" documentation and its implications leave me very frequently dazed and confused.

Thanks to all/anyone that responds.

Several Apples, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 19, 2009 2:30 AM

1 reply

Nov 19, 2009 4:16 AM in response to OSX Fan

...does it mean that I have a license for one server that allows up to 10 clients to connect to it but each of the clients must have it's own, unique copy of OS X installed on it?

The 10 client connection is for concurrent client connections over AFP. However, this should not be an issue if you are deploying Snow Leopard. Apple removed the 10 user product and only the unlimited server is available.

The reason I get confused is probably because of netboot images. To me, the presence of a netboot image that can be downloaded and used by a system on a network essentially says "Yes, you can generate an OS X image and distribute it to client systems" because clearly, I assume, every time someone starts a netboot client they cannot realistically download the entire OS. I have to assume that the client isn't created to be totally useless without a server present, after all, what if the server goes down? Does everyone just twiddle their thumbs waiting for it to come back up?

NetBoot can get a little fuzzy. But the assumption is that all of the systems that you are NetBooting came with an original client license, so centralizing the OS to the server and then sharing it out does not exceed your licensing. OS X Server is a different product than OS X. You are running OS X Server on a server device, one server hardware per one copy of OS X Server. Server then shares out the client.

I'm not terribly familiar with any of this, although our (small) company has recently acquired a copy of OS X Tiger Server with a 10 client license. If we add more systems, do we need to get an OS X license for each of them OUTSIDE of the Server, or does the server license provide a provision for us to install a copy of OS X on each of them.

No. But if you get new machines, they are coming with Snow. Snow and Tiger will not interoperate easily. For example, Tiger server can not server Snow netboot images. Plus Tiger is a bit long in the tooth so finding hardware to boot it might be more trouble than it is worth.

Let's assume you have 20 machines running Tiger and they originally came with Tiger. If you deploy the Tiger server, you are fine with everything except the concurrent client connection limitation of the 10 user license. However, if your clients are running newer versions of OS X and you need to upgrade the Server OS, then you may need to upgrade everything. For example, if your clients are Leopard but you buy Snow Server, then you need to upgrade your client licenses to Snow as well.

I hope I'm clear on this question, as "legal" documentation and its implications leave me very frequently dazed and confused.

Thanks to all/anyone that responds.

Hope this helps

Licensing question about OS X Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.