Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Navigation capabilities

iPhone users:

I do not have an iPhone. But that is another story. My brother is perhaps interested in getting an iPhone, in part for the navigation capabilities. I am interested to know how you feel about using the iPhone as a car navigator, and what apps you like or don't like, and why. How does it stack up to a good standalone unit such as a Garmin Nuvi? Is it adequate in areas with poor cell reception? Sprint navigation for the Palm Pre looks very good, but suffers when out of range of towers. Thoughts here? Can you point me to some good reviews and comparisons?

MacBook C2D White 1 GB, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 19, 2009 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2009 12:06 PM

I don't use my iPhone for nav (have a Garmin Nuvi 265WT in the car for that), but I would note that you are comparing quite different things in your post.

Like sprint, AT&T offers a nav app (actually, essentially the same app, as both merely put their brand on Telenav's app). These cell provider nav apps do require a cellular connection to download maps and traffic information as you use them, so no cell signal, no navigation.

There are also several apps for the iPhone that install as standalone apps with the maps stored on the phone itself - eg. TomTom and others. These apps will not require a data connection to function, as they include all the map data they need as part of the install. Some features, like real time traffic info may not work when out of signal area, but the maps and basic navigation stuff is wholly contained on the phone itself.

I've used AT&T's branded version of Telenav before, and it is a nice app., but it is dependent on a cell signal, and if only on EDGE, it cannot run while using the phone (3G is okay, as it can handle both voice and data simultaneously).
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2009 12:06 PM in response to dndrich

I don't use my iPhone for nav (have a Garmin Nuvi 265WT in the car for that), but I would note that you are comparing quite different things in your post.

Like sprint, AT&T offers a nav app (actually, essentially the same app, as both merely put their brand on Telenav's app). These cell provider nav apps do require a cellular connection to download maps and traffic information as you use them, so no cell signal, no navigation.

There are also several apps for the iPhone that install as standalone apps with the maps stored on the phone itself - eg. TomTom and others. These apps will not require a data connection to function, as they include all the map data they need as part of the install. Some features, like real time traffic info may not work when out of signal area, but the maps and basic navigation stuff is wholly contained on the phone itself.

I've used AT&T's branded version of Telenav before, and it is a nice app., but it is dependent on a cell signal, and if only on EDGE, it cannot run while using the phone (3G is okay, as it can handle both voice and data simultaneously).

Nov 22, 2009 10:22 AM in response to dndrich

I use NDrive South Africa on my iPhone 3G and I've just completed a two day journey to places I know absolutely nothing about. It was great all the way - never put a foot wrong and got me to my destination without fuss.

I was concerned about the need for a data feed too - but NDrive doesn't require this (as backed up by a reviewer from Canada who uses his without 3G or cellular access - http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/reviews/app-review-ndrive-canada-gps-for-iphone-3g3 gs/

I haven't compared it with Garmin's or Tom Tom's - but a friend of mine runs Garmin on a Samsung D900 - and it's responses and accuracy are identical to the iPhone (we did a side by side test drive with both phones next to each other). The iPhone actually grabs a satellite signal much faster than the Samsung - which often takes a few minutes to sort itself out before it's ready to go.

Navigation capabilities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.