Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Port Forwarding Twice?

(Also posted in Airport discussions)

I have previously used port forwarding via an AEn to access my Mac Pro while away. I have now installed a Mac mini Server and continue to use the Mac Pro as a client. Port forwarding now directs all incoming requests to the server for e-mail, file sharing, and web services, which I wish to continue. However, I'd also like to continue to access the other box, where I have telephony software installed requiring access to a phone jack (and the Mac mini is in a closet...). Is there a way to to access both the Mac mini Server and the Mac Pro? Thanks.

C.

Mac Pro (early 2008) 2.8GHz 8-core, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 1:19 PM

Hi Charles
Here's how I do it.
First I do not "Port Forward" to my server. I use NAT which sends all default traffic to the server.
I use Port Forwarding to route to other machines.

The internal IP of my server is 10.0.1.253, and I believe that is the default NAT setting on a AE
If you went to www.mydomain.com you would hit my Xserver's web services

If you went to www.mydomain.com:81 you would be directed to the web services on my MacPro.
In Port Mapping I used port 81 as the Public Port, the internal IP of my MacPro of 10.0.1.200, and of course use a private port of 80.

As an example, for one machine I use Public Port 547 for AFP, 5901 for VNC, and 27 for FTP.

Well known" TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2009 1:19 PM in response to Charles Campbell2

Hi Charles
Here's how I do it.
First I do not "Port Forward" to my server. I use NAT which sends all default traffic to the server.
I use Port Forwarding to route to other machines.

The internal IP of my server is 10.0.1.253, and I believe that is the default NAT setting on a AE
If you went to www.mydomain.com you would hit my Xserver's web services

If you went to www.mydomain.com:81 you would be directed to the web services on my MacPro.
In Port Mapping I used port 81 as the Public Port, the internal IP of my MacPro of 10.0.1.200, and of course use a private port of 80.

As an example, for one machine I use Public Port 547 for AFP, 5901 for VNC, and 27 for FTP.

Well known" TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products

Nov 20, 2009 3:10 PM in response to Charles Campbell2

Charles,

Depending on how your network is configured, you could use the VPN service on the Mini Server to establish a VPN connection back to your home network, and then use VNC to access the MacPro and the Mini Server.

The sticky part relates to how you configure your home private IP address set, compared to the private IP address set wherever you happen to be. For example, most WiFi routers default to the private Class C IP network of 192.168.0.x, and if you have that network on both ends of the VPN, it would not work properly.

If on the other hand, everything you are trying to access is web-based, then the previous advice would be best.

G. Discenza

Port Forwarding Twice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.