Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes with audio interface

I have a Firebox audio interface. I can choose to put all my system sounds through it, this works fine.

I also have some music production software that lets me select the audio interface as its output. This way I can make music with my headphones while my daughter watches teletubbies youtubes on my lap with the imac internal speakers.

So it's obvious that the computer can deal with different audio outputs simultaneously, so how can I make it so iTunes comes out of my audio interface but other system sounds come out of the speakers/headphone jack as normal?

Message was edited by: dan lett

iMac 24" 2.4Ghz; iBook 14" 1Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 7:44 PM

6 replies

Nov 20, 2009 8:11 PM in response to dan lett

If your system is set up with an AirPort Extreme or Airport Express you can select at the bottom of iTunes which speakers to use - for me I select my TV Speakers and play iTunes through the home surround sound - any other sounds from watching a video from another source will play through the computer head phones or computer speakers.

MJ

Feb 23, 2011 12:40 AM in response to dan lett

Old post, still I try to answer if somebody else has to the problem too. For me this worked (I have a RME Audio Interface):

In the folder "Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities" you will find an app called "Audio MIDI Setup"; launch it.

Then you will see a list of Audio devices. Click on your Interface/Soundcard. Then (when it's highlighted) click again with two finger click (a.k.a. ctrl/right click). In the popping up context-menu choose "Use this device for sound output".

Now the sound of iTunes, QuickTime & Co. comes out of your Interface.

Apr 23, 2013 5:50 PM in response to jezza.keat

Having had the same problem as above, I discovered that I was able to get iTunes (and Spotify) to play correctly by turning the Audio Interface off and back on whlist the Mac computer stayed on.

I few seconds after the audio interface (in my case the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, using Firewire) was back on, everything started playing.

Hope this helps any others with this similar problem.

iTunes with audio interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.