Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appending a new page to a pdf

I am a new convert to Mac and wish to be able to open a web page (or email), choose File>Print, locate an existing pdf, choose "append" to simply append the page to the existing pdf. In Windows, I used Pdf Converter Pro. Is there any software for Mac to do this? I have Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Thanks.

MACBOOK PRO, Mac OS X (10.6.2), SNOW LEOPARD

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 8:02 AM

9 replies

Nov 21, 2009 8:28 AM in response to GAL722128

First welcome to Apple Discussions!

Let me see if I understand, you're trying to append some pages to an existing PDF document. Yes this is pretty simple.

1. Start Preview (Command Shift and type Preview)
2. Open one of the PDF documents in Preview
3. Open the second PDF document in Preview
4. Move them side by side so you can see both.
5. On both documents go to View, Sidebar and choose Show Sidebar (shortcut is Command Shift D)
6. Drag the page you want in the preview pane to the preview pane of the appended document.

It sounds tough however it's extremely simple to do. No special software needed, it's all built into OS X.

Regards,

Roger

Nov 21, 2009 8:27 AM in response to GAL722128

there is no option to do it directly from the print menu. you can do it but it will require a couple of steps. open an existing pdf file in Preview and expand the sidebar. then choose print from the webpage, email or anything else and in the popup choose "Preview". that will open a pdf Preview page for what you are trying to print. select the whole thing in the sidebar, drag it to the already opened pdf file and drop it *on top of it* in its sidebar. this will combine the documents into one pdf which you can then save. you can also combine pdf files using other apps like Acrobat or Graphics converter or by using automator but you'd have to have both those files saved first. the above is the only method I know which will let you append a pdf preview of something without first saving it as a separate pdf file.

Nov 21, 2009 9:55 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Edit: I should have replied to the OP. I didn't mean to reply to rkaufmann87.

I can give you a way to prepend. Maybe the smarter automator people can fix it so it will append.

Start a new Automator Print plugin.
Add an "Ask for Finder Items" action--you could also use a "Get specified finder items" if you always append to the same document.
Add a "Set Value of Variable" action and choose a variable name like "fileName"
Add a "Combine PDF Pages" action and choose Append
Add a "Get Value of Variable" action and select your variable
Add a "Run Shell Script" action and set Pass input "as arguments"
--for the shell script, use
mv "$1" $3"
The workflow first gets the printed PDF, passes it along with the file you selected. It then gets the file names that are passed to it as two items. The first is the temp file created in the print. The second is the file you want to append to. The Combine PDFs will combine the two pdfs into a temp file. This file is passed along and the two saved file names are passed along with the Get Value of Variable action. So, you've got the combined pdf ($1), the printed pdf ($2), and the destination filename ($3). The shell script renames the first argument passed to the name of the third argument passed (mv is move in unix which moves the temp file to the location of the destination file, thus overwriting it or renaming it).

Save the workflow as something like "Append to PDF…" and it will show up in the PDF services menu.

If someone can find a way to swap the order of the files passed to combine, I think it will append. I tried one thing, but it didn't work.

Message was edited by: Barney-15E

Nov 21, 2009 10:08 AM in response to Barney-15E

hey Barney, this is a great idea! I never noticed that automator has print plugings now that can do that.

I think you can easily modify your workflow to append rather than prepend. just insert the following run shell script action after "ask for finder items":

<pre style="
font-family: Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;
font-size: 10px;
margin: 0px;
padding: 5px;
border: 1px solid #000000;
width: 720px;
color: #000000;
background-color: #ADD8E6;
overflow: auto;"
title="this text can be pasted into the Script Editor">

echo "$2"
echo "$1"</pre>

this will swap the order of documents.

Dec 25, 2009 9:48 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for your reply. Sorry it is taking so long to respond. I am starting to day to study automator and learn to use it.

Your suggestion seems to need both files to be pdfs.

Therefore, I would need additional steps at the beginning to first create a pdf from the web screen I wish to append to the existing pdf. What would be needed to add that?

Appending a new page to a pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.