Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac having a hard time booting

Hey guys, my parents iMac started acting up today. randomly while in use it will just power cycle. But when the power returns it wont boot, it just sits on a black screen starting the fan and spinning the cd tray for a short burst. there is no disk in the drive and it wont boot, without mucking around and unplug it, then it may boot, but it will then just crash again..

any ideas at all? if i do get it online, are there any log files i can look at to see why its crashing?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz, iPod Touch 32GB 2nd Gen, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 4:53 PM

19 replies

Nov 22, 2009 5:19 PM in response to spyd4r

If you have not already, reset PRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

and if that does not help, reset SMC

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

which is basically unplugging all cables and power, and then reconnecting using a precise procedure. If the iMac is connected to an over-crowded or old power strip (surge suppressor), try connecting it directly to the wall outlet, at least initially. You should power it up with nothing but the power cord connected. If it starts up normally, only connect the standard keyboard/mouse and use it that way for a bit. If it continues to run normally, add one peripheral device (USB and FireWire) at time. If this problem recurs at some point, note which device was added last. It may be faulty in some way that is causing the iMac to not run reliably.

If the problem with booting continues, even with nothing connected, please post back.

Nov 22, 2009 5:26 PM in response to spyd4r

basically its currently sitting at a black screen, and it gives the fan a short burst, then sounds like its trying to eject a dvd(there is nothing in the drive). then stops... and starts all over again..

the only way to get it to boot, is to unplug it, and power it back on.

Message was edited by: spyd4r

Nov 22, 2009 5:40 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

the PRAM step, i was unable to get it to boot after holding down option-command-P-R, it would go to the grey screen, then it power cycled, then went back into the weird power cycle.

i tried the SMC step, and its been up now for about 5 minutes. I am repairing some disk permissions and checking log files to see whats going on.

thanks, i'll see if it kicks out again.

Message was edited by: spyd4r

Nov 22, 2009 6:17 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

my mom just informed it it all started this morning when my dad tried to print a pdf document. that made me curious as i currently have the usb cable for the printer unplugged, and she had tried printing a document since the imac was staying up without crashing... as soon as i plugged in the printer... BOOM, imac went dark. then when i tried booting up it went into the eject cycle again.

very weird

Nov 22, 2009 6:25 PM in response to spyd4r

OK. Didn't I mentioned the possibility of interference from a peripheral device in my first reply...? 🙂

Since it is a printer, you may want to try going to System Preferences +Printer & Fax+ pane to remove that printer and then add it back. You can also right click on the printer list and select +Reset printing system+ to reset everything related to printing, then add that one printer back.

Be sure to run Software Update, because there were some printer driver updates released recently for Snow Leopard (at least there were for HP printers). If it's a less common printer, you may want to go to the manufacturer's web site to see if they have a recent update related to Snow Leopard.

You should also try another USB cable in case that one is defective.

Nov 22, 2009 7:16 PM in response to spyd4r

Since the last time you had the printer connected, did you go through the SMC reset procedure again? Since connecting the printer apparently has an impact on the iMac, you should do that plus reseting PRAM again, then see of this unexpected shut down still occurs when it is just sitting there powered on with only the keyboard/mouse connected.

imac having a hard time booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.