Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleApplicationSupport.msi "not available"?

iTunes prompted me to update, so I tried to do it, but during the installation a box comes up telling me that AppleApplicationSupport.msi isn't available. I tried searching my computer but there's nothing by that name. I can still use iTunes fine, but I figure I'll have to update sooner or later anyway.

So why might I not have that file (I certainly haven't deleted it myself and this problem's never come up before) and how can I sort this out?

PC, Windows XP

Posted on Nov 23, 2009 5:13 PM

2 replies

Nov 23, 2009 9:39 PM in response to tdTree

AppleApplicationSupport.msi isn't available

Usually that sort of message means the file is damaged rather than unavailable. If there's a problem with the .msi for a program, Windows isn't able to uninstall the previous version of the program. (There's an updated version of Apple Application Support in the latest iTunes installer bundle, and the previous version of AAS needs to be uninstalled prior to the new one going in.)

Quit all of *iTunes, QuickTime and Safari* first (if you have any of them open). (They all use Apple Application Support, and will interfere with the uninstall if they are still open.)

Using a different browser than Safari, download and install the Windows Installer CleanUp utility from Microsoft:

[Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility|http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301]

Now run the utility ("Start > All Programs > Windows Install CleanUp"). In the list of programs that appear in CleanUp, select any *Apple Application Support* entries. Quit out of CleanUp.

Now download a copy of the iTunes installer from the Apple website (It won't be possible to use Safari at the moment):

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

... and try another iTunes install. Does it go through properly this time?

AppleApplicationSupport.msi "not available"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.