Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Portrait Side Monitors for 27" iMac

I'm looking at getting the iMac 27" and I'd like to have two side monitors, in portrait mode, on either side. The side monitors will be connected to separate machines and are not primary monitors, so I'm not looking for outstanding quality. My main focus is on having monitors that fit vertically without a lot of overhang.

My question is, what monitors would you recommend as side monitors?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Blackbook

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 10:49 AM

Well these are the dimensions for the 27":

Height:
20.4 inches (51.7 cm)
Width:
25.6 inches (65.0 cm)

I take it you'd want a monitor that in portrait mode is pretty close to 20.4 inches high? Just doing a quick search brought up a lot of options...you'd have to decided what quality and price point works best for you. I have a 21" Samsung SynMaster 213T that looks great and has a portrait mode. It is just over 20 inches in portrait mode so would look pretty good on either side of your iMac. My advice is go to a computer store with a tape measure and test them out for yourself.

~ Kort
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2009 10:49 AM in response to mashby

Well these are the dimensions for the 27":

Height:
20.4 inches (51.7 cm)
Width:
25.6 inches (65.0 cm)

I take it you'd want a monitor that in portrait mode is pretty close to 20.4 inches high? Just doing a quick search brought up a lot of options...you'd have to decided what quality and price point works best for you. I have a 21" Samsung SynMaster 213T that looks great and has a portrait mode. It is just over 20 inches in portrait mode so would look pretty good on either side of your iMac. My advice is go to a computer store with a tape measure and test them out for yourself.

~ Kort

Jan 8, 2010 4:17 PM in response to mashby

Thanks to this thread on the MacRumor's Forums, I found a perfect mount for my new 27" iMac. It's the Innovative 7500-1500. Amazon has it for $99 at this link.

The monitor arm is heavy duty and easy to install. I used a grommet hole on my desk and now the most gorgeous computer I have ever owned floats above my desk like a work of art.

As for the dual portrait monitors, 17" seems to be the sweet spot for display area, but 20" worked better for side-by-side size. However, I've given up on the idea. There's so much room and power I just don't need them anymore.

Dual Portrait Side Monitors for 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.