Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" iMac Disassemble

If anybody can help, I have a few questions about the first two steps in disassembing an iMac. I've read and reread the ifixit teardown, but for a newbie to this type of computer, the steps are a bit vague.

First of all, the screen is attached by magnets, am I right? Is it multiple magnets, or is it strips of magnets around the outside edge?

Second, how exactly does the LCD panel come out after the glass is removed? Obviously, unscrew it. But then you have to tilt it? Which direction, and where is that vsync cable that has to be disconnected going to be located?

And finally, when I'm ready to put the glass back on the screen, are the magnets going to help it position itself in the right spot? Or am I going to have to be super careful not to set it down wrong?

I'm pretty sure I can handle the rest of the teardown on my own, once I get to the guts. But I just want to have a firm grasp on the initial steps before I begin. And, rest assured I am not worried about voiding my warranty!

27" iMac i7 / 4GB / 2TB / HD4850, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3G

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 12:08 PM

7 replies

Nov 24, 2009 12:30 PM in response to Michael Lafferty

I don't want to sound ungrateful for your concern, but my questions aren't really indicative of my skill. I need quality suction cups, a screwdriver, and a clean workplace. I can swing all three, as I work in a repair shop.

However, I do understand that this isn't something that just anybody should do - but the hard drive isn't going to replace itself, and Apple certainly isn't going to do it for me. =)

If I do break it, I promise I'll post so you can say 'I told you so'.

Message was edited by: LayzieGTP

Nov 24, 2009 1:53 PM in response to Bill from Germany

Indeed. I'll repost at MacRumors when I get home.

I knew I was stepping into unknown territory when I bought this Mac, but I never imagined I'd find a community so afraid to take thier own computers apart! Where's the sense of adventure? I've taken apart every computer I've ever owned, and this one ain't gettin' a free pass just because it's a Mac.

For anybody that's interested, I am cracking it open for reasons threefold: To get a lay of the land, consider the possibility of adding an SSD (whether now or in the future), and because I want to know how to keep it clean for preventative maintainance. If this thing gathers anywhere near as much dust as my laptop did, it's going to need regular dustings. It gets hot enough just out of the box.

Thanks though everyone for thier time and concern.

Nov 24, 2009 12:19 PM in response to LayzieGTP

Just a note of caution: without the special tools, accurate documentation and some experience working with this sort of machine, you're quite likely to break the non-tempered glass. It's quite likely to cost you more than $ 100.00 to replace.

This is generally a really poor idea, and it's clear from your questions that you have neither the tools, documentation, the experience nor the specific knowledge of how to disassemble or reassemble the machine. No one is likely to step up and assist you here, as no reasonable person would want to contribute to the likely outcome or assume any liability for your actions under these circumstances.

Nov 24, 2009 12:43 PM in response to LayzieGTP

I won't argue about your skills and experience, because I have absolutely no idea what they are. I'll take you at your word that your confident that you can do it, but fall back on the idea that I—and no one I know—really wants to own the likely outcome. Roughly translated: you're on your own!

I'm not sure how increasing the size of an internal hard drive or changing it from a conventional rotating platter mechanism to a solid-state drive could possibly merit the inherent risk in doing so. There are a number of expansion options which should address concerns about storage size, and the entire moderate-cost SSD benefit is vastly overrated, in my experience. Even very expensive SSD units yield very little measurable benefit.

27" iMac Disassemble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.