Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Package Maker loses icons

I have made a package that installs three applications (scripts) into /Applications/Utilities/SPEC folder. I am able to embed the custom icons in the applications but when I run the installer the custom icon for the SPEC folder converts back to the generic folder icon in the Utilities folder. Does anyone know how to keep the original icon for the created folder? Thanks for any suggestions.

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 2:02 PM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2009 2:42 PM in response to etresoft

I'm sure I used the wrong term there. I open the contents of the application and go to Contents/Resources and replace the applet.icns file with my own icon file. I do this because if you just cut and paste in the get info window it will not install correctly with PackageMaker.

I'm wondering how you do that to a folder.

Nov 24, 2009 5:02 PM in response to MacDaddi

MacDaddi wrote:
I do this because if you just cut and paste in the get info window it will not install correctly with PackageMaker.

Nor will your other method apparently. That is not how you assign an icon to an application. You specify the correct icon file in Xcode when you build it. You also give it a unique creator code.

I'm wondering how you do that to a folder.

Use the Finder to assign an Icon to the folder and then build your installer package. In the postflight script, set the FinderInfo with something like:

xattr -xw com.apple.FinderInfo "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00" .

Package Maker loses icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.