Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Request for Admin UID/PW Immediately After Login?

I just logged in to my system after restarting and immediately, before opening anything (other than Finder obviously), was presented with a request for the admin credentials (I was logged in to a user account), I think saying something about a change to my login preferences and/or login window, which didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Any idea what would cause this, or how to make sense of the logs to see what exactly prompted the request?

I installed Flash and Adium on this new machine this morning - would this have anything to do with it? I'm unaccustomed to getting the security prompt at unexpected times and now very nervous about whether this was malware, etc.

iMac 27 i7, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 16GB/2TB Model

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 6:04 PM

20 replies

Nov 25, 2009 6:33 PM in response to JiminSF

Did this happen the first time you restarted after installing
Flash and Adium? If so, it may have been something left over
from the installation. I don't think it would have been related
to Flash (although I wouldn't bet my life on it) since I have
not encountered any similar incident. Don't know anything about
Adium since I don't use it...

Dave

Nov 25, 2009 7:06 PM in response to dbsneddon

Hmmmm. It shows the following interesting entries:

Nov 25 17:14:05 X-iMac com.apple.SecurityServer[25]: UID 503 authenticated as user XXX (UID 501) for right 'system.preferences'
Nov 25 17:14:05 X-iMac com.apple.SecurityServer[25]: Succeeded authorizing right 'system.preferences' by client '/System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ SCHelper' for authorization created by '/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app'

So again, it looks like my system preferences were being edited by the login window. What would prompt this?

Request for Admin UID/PW Immediately After Login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.