Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

compressor and blu-ray

Well, I bought a Lacie Blu-ray burner and I a putting the finishing touches on a year's worth of home movies in Final Cut Pro. How do I create correct chapter markers in FCP that will be recognized by compressor in setting up chapters for a blu-ray DVD?

I appreciate your help.

Lee

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 6:59 PM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2009 8:58 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Yes, I have the most current version of Final Cut Studio. Yes, I don't like what I have read about the actual creation of a blu-ray dvd because the information is scant to none in the manuals. I have created experimental blu-rays (small movies) with Toast 10 and FCP/Compressor and I am trying to learn what I need to create a disk with menus, buttons, etc to put a two-hour movie on it.

I started making dvds with the mac with idvd 1.0, and I am familiar with a bare bones approach to authoring dvd's. However, it seems like the blu-ray solution that Apple has come out with is more basic than idvd 1.0 with compressor. Right now, I just don't get it because there is no explanation of the actual authoring process.

For example, my latest experimental movie with compressor was to hit the share command in fcp to send my project to compressor and directly author a blu-ray. It worked. My markers in fcp were recognized to the extent that when I played the disk in my blu-ray player I could advance to the next chapter.

However, how do I name the chapters? How do I create a button that will go to the chapter?

Why is Apple so behind the curve with this? A few years ago Jobs said that this was the year of "high definition." I understand that there have been issues (technical, profit, etc.) since that statement, but come-on let's ramp it up. After seeing my stuff played back on the experimental blu-rays I have built, there is no question that the quality, which in theory should be better, is in fact BETTER.

Any help I can get from you will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee

p.s. have a happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 26, 2009 5:30 PM in response to LCohen

Ah, all the background helps prevent me from wasting your time.

However, how do I name the chapters? How do I create a button that will go to
the chapter?

AFAIK, you cannot.

Why is Apple so behind the curve with this? A few years ago Jobs said that this
was the year of "high definition."

It's all about licensing, apparently. I'm not so sure Apple is behind the curve as holding out; no idea why.
But your assumption that HD and B-r and synonymous or even have a universally accepted causal relationship is not correct. Lots of ways to move HD around, B-r just happens to be the commercially viable and generally available consumer delivery package.

We can only hope DVDSP gets full B-r support soon. It's due, for sure.

bogiesan

compressor and blu-ray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.