Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Have I been hacked?

814 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2009 10:28 AM by etresoft RSS
JiminSF Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 26, 2009 7:29 AM
Yesterday I rebooted my system and immediately after logging in to a non-admin account, I was prompted for admin credentials by the loginwindow app to make a change to system preferences. I am very suspicious because I had not yet launched any apps at all. I had installed a couple of apps before the last reboot (Flash and Adium), but it does not appear that either was adding anything to the system preferences, let alone anything that would change them after the reboot, does anyone have any ideas what would cause this other than a hack? I'm new to OS X and the message about loginwindow changing my preferences was totally uninformative about what the actual change was and I can't seem to find any info about how to track this down this anywhere.
iMac 27 i7, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 16GB/2TB Model
  • etresoft Level 7 Level 7 (23,880 points)
    Nov 26, 2009 7:41 AM (in response to JiminSF)
    You haven't been hacked. Some programs prefer to install support files or login items in a user's account instead of in a system area. I think Adium does this. The only way to do this is to install the files when the application runs.
    MacBook 2007 (white), Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2.0 Ghz/4GB Ram/200 HD
    Nov 26, 2009 7:49 AM (in response to JiminSF)
    My explanation was mostly a guess. You can get more details if you run Console.app and look at the log files.
    Nov 26, 2009 10:28 AM (in response to JiminSF)
    No. It's fine. You haven't been hacked by anyone other than perhaps Adobe.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.