Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp and Windows 7 64-bit

I'm a recent convert to Mac...I've got a 2 week old Macbook Pro 2.66 and Bootcamped Windows Vista.

1. Is Snow Leopard 32 or 64 bit and how can I tell?

2. I've installed Windows Vista 32-bit, does my OSX DVD have drivers so I can install Windows 7 64-bit.

3. I notice that I can see the hard drives for both OSX and Bootcamp. I assume copying from OSX to Windows is a file-system incompatibility issue. When I try to copy Windows to OSX, there's a permission error. Are there work arounds for this?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 11:46 AM

4 replies

Nov 26, 2009 1:06 PM in response to Pinoy22201

SL mainly runs in 64 bit mode.
A few chunks still run in 32 bit.
Applications->Utilities->Activity monitor will tell you which process's run 32 vs 64

2) Sort of, it has vista drivers, which are for the most part work with windows 7
Official windows 7 support is coming soon. Also be sure to download bootcamp update 2.2 it has more current drivers.

3) I'm not sure on this one, I would suspect you can't access a mac formatted drive from windows.

Jan 18, 2010 3:20 AM in response to Pinoy22201

Well,

Until very recently Apple used to say they were going to support Windows 7 before the end of 2009. Now the announcement ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920) states:

"we plan to release as soon as it's ready".

Notice that specific target date is no longer mentioned. To those familiar with practice of such announcement it is actually a very bad sign. "as soon as it's ready" may very well mean never.

Hey, they knew they were not going to fulfill this promise on time but they clerly waited with changing the message until holiday shopping season is over.

I am sure many customers made purchasing decision based on MacBook reputation and the promise they will be able to run Windows 7. But it seems that Apple is reconsidering. They know they have a lot to gain in hardware sales but also they have something to lose.

Please prove me wrong.

Tomasz

Message was edited by: tdjastrzebski

Bootcamp and Windows 7 64-bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.