Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't transfer/import XDCAM files from harddrive into FCP

hi, i filmed all of my footage using an XDCAM and had to return the cams immediately. so i copied all the clips from the capture media to an external hard drive (everything within the BPAV folder) one to one. i also downloaded and installed the XDCAM EX Clip Browser on my MacBook Pro and can view the clips.

the problem i have is that i can't import the clips into FCP. the "Import> SONY XDCAM..." feature in FCP won't allow me to access these files. the BPAV folder remains greyed out.

what do i need to do to get the clips into FCP? is there a different plugin i need? the clip browser won't let me export the clips to any other format. i'm stumped. i run FCP computer on my G5 PPC Quad core. the file browser only runs on Intel macs. so i use my MBP to view the clips but that's all i can do.

can someone please help me out ?

many thx!
fj

Dual Core G5, 4GB, NV7800GT, Logic 8, FCS2, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 2:51 AM

26 replies

Nov 27, 2009 3:14 AM in response to accarda

hi armando, thx. i installed the transfer utitliy and when i open it and try "adding a custom path and/or add selection to cue" options i get the following warning:

"566 000101" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

the video file i want is simply greyed out.

Nov 27, 2009 3:20 AM in response to Frank Jacob

Don't select the video file. Select the top level of the folder structure and let it populate the window. Does that not work?

Sounds like there may be something wrong with the media. Try clearing the cache in the Log and Transfer options popup. Make sure the video option is set to ProRes and that audio is set to plain stereo. There may also be a conflict with Perian if you have that installed.

Message was edited by: Tom Wolsky

Nov 27, 2009 3:25 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

thx tom, in each case - whatever the folder i select - whether the BPAV folder, the CLPR folder or the individual folders containing the clips, i get the same message as above...

i tried the suggesting clearing of the cache. no change. the files open perfectly as stated on my MBP running the clip browser, so i don't suspect the files are damaged. in any case if that were the case then i'd be f--&%$#ed as they say...

Message was edited by: Frank Jacob

Nov 27, 2009 3:25 AM in response to Frank Jacob

Hi,
currently I remember I was doing something similar at once, by importing EX1 clips that I got from the web.
In that case what I did was taking an existing real BPAV structure from my EX1, then just change the MP4 file and manually edit the XML metadata files to make the proper adjustments.
I know it is crazy, but it worked and I was able to manage through L&T those clips.

Probably something was not copied completely the first time?

Armando.

Nov 27, 2009 3:37 AM in response to accarda

hi armando,
so ok, if what you are saying is that the BPAV structure must be preserved for EACH imported batch individually - i assume what you mean by "existing real BPAV structure" is the "CUEUP.XML" file plus the "MEDIAPRO.XML" file the TAKR folder and the CLPR folder that is on each of the XDCAMs media capture cards then i my be screwed, since i dropped the folders within the CLPR folder all into one CLPR folder of the first BPAV struture i copied to my hard drive. does that make sense?

in that event does it mean i could theoretically hack one of the xml files above (which one BTW?) to 'see' the additional folder/clips i copied? otherwise if i have to change all 257 of the individual files we're talking a LONG time... and what do i need to change in that file?

Nov 27, 2009 3:53 AM in response to Frank Jacob

Hi Frank,
yes this dirty way is not very handy when working with so many clips.
I did it with 4 clips.
I recorded with my EX1 (after I have erased the card) the 4 clips with same settings as the 4 I wanted to import (because in my case I got from internet only the 4 MP4 files), just 1 sec each.
Then I copied the entire card into my HDD and hack the metadata in order to point my new 4 MP4 files got from internet.
I remember each clip is within a single data structure, so I guess in your case it will be hard to do so.

On another note: I don't use Clip Browser, but I know it is capable to export as the Transfer utility.
May be it would be better investigate little bit more on it and have it exports your 257 clips, as it is able to see them properly.

Regards,
Armando.

Nov 27, 2009 4:26 AM in response to Frank Jacob

As for the file and section to change, if you can wait couple of hours I can be back in front my FCP and the EX1, so I can be more precise.

Anyway if you want to start investigating, you will see that the XML file has several infos, frame size, rate and codec being used. There is also the full pathname where the MP4 is supposed to be: you just need to point your MP4 filename and directory where it is located (together with the other service files).

Again in a couple of hours I can be more precise.

Regards,
Armando.

Nov 27, 2009 5:25 AM in response to accarda

First, never just drag copy the media to your hard disc or you are asking for data corruption trouble .. these files are the equivalent of your master tape and you cannot afford to end up with corrupted data. Always use Clip Browser to create a checksum verified copy.

Ok. That said, there is hopefully nothing at all wrong with your copied, but you do need to put the BPAV folder within another folder eg when copying data from Card 1 you create a folder called Card_1 into which you copy the BPAV folder from the first card, a folder called Card_2 containing the BPAV folder from the second card etc

Then you point XDCAM Transfer, or FCP's Log and Transfer, at the 'containing' folder eg Card_1 or Card_2 etc

Hopefully that should kick start things for you.

Best
Andy

Nov 27, 2009 6:12 AM in response to Andy Mees

andy - thx for that important info. i was just cooking so haven't tried this, but the thought struck me that i can in the file browser copy files to new folders on another drive. doing so seems to create a 'new' BPAV folder with all those copied files in it on the destination drive. they're copying now and i haven't tried them in final cut yet.

thx for the info cross your fingers it works for me i'll drop an update back here later...

Nov 27, 2009 6:34 AM in response to Frank Jacob

well i copied clips i am viewing in the XDCAM file browser to another directory. in the file browser i can view and move the data. but in FCP when i use the log & transfer method i just get the same message above 😟

there must be a way to 'rescue' clips i am viewing in the file browser or why would sony create a system that renders your clips dead in all other software except its own file browser? hm...

i also watched some tutorial on youtube that showed someone exporting the files from with the XDCAM file browser to an AVID system. there were options to export the clips into different formats. i don't have these options. am i missing something? i installed vsn 1.0

is there anything else i can try? thx for all your help!

Nov 27, 2009 6:43 AM in response to Andy Mees

Hi Andy,
while I agree with you about the correct practice, in my case I only got the MP4 files and that was not an option.
So I did what made me able to use that material, and it worked.
This is not how I manage the clips when I shot them, of course, but I like to find remedies when it is possible to save the day.

Regards,
Armando.

Nov 27, 2009 6:52 AM in response to accarda

in the spirit of armano'os last post and FYI: i picked up the cams on short notice, never used them before and there were no instructions. the ppl just told me to copy the files over to my HD, since i had to return the cams immediately and had no time to hook up the cams to FCP.

the 'mistake' i seem to have made was that i looked at the data structure and saw that the clips always ended up in the CLPR folder within each BPAV folder - each in its own folder in that fiolder and with XML and data files - so i copied directly to that one BPAV folder i copied from the first capture media i moved to my hard drive instead of copying the entire BPAV folder from each capture media. however i tested the import immediately to see if it actually played back the files in the XDCAM clip browser and they did.

i assumed all was fine with this method and it would save me a lot of duplicate BPAV folders... hopefully though this isn't the end.

Nov 27, 2009 7:02 AM in response to Frank Jacob

Hi Frank,
so the MEDIAPRO.XLM file lists all the files (in their sub-folders) for each clip that was shot on that SxS card.
While the CUEUP.XLM lists you last folder containing last clip in that SxS.
If you got all inside each individual clip's folder right (meaning the MP4 and all associated files), then we can see how to restore those index files to save your work.

Regards,
Armando.

Can't transfer/import XDCAM files from harddrive into FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.