Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed 802.11n Enabler but unable to get N speeds

Hi everyone,

Back when I was using Tiger, I installed the 802.11n enabler on my 2.33GHz MacBook Pro (late 2006 model).

I can't remember if I was able to get N speeds back then, but today I definitely seem unable to do so.

I can't remember if I had this same issue under Leopard either.

But with Snow Leopard I only seem to be able to connect at 54Mbps.

A coworker has a MacBook Pro that's one model newer than mine and he can get speeds up to 130Mbps.

His was the first to come enabled for 802.11n out of the box.

My Airport card does register as N capable.

Any ideas as to why I can't get N speeds on an N network?

Same at home. The router is set for B/G/N, and I can't get an N speed.

However, under Windows (via Bootcamp) I am able to get speeds greater than 54Mbps.

In every case, my Airport menu says PHY Mode: 802.11n.

Has anyone had this problem?

MacBook Pro 2.33GHz C2D Late 2006 Model, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 7:37 AM

5 replies

Jan 15, 2010 10:12 PM in response to Heronymo

I tried setting my home network to N-Only and I wasn't able to join it.

Hmm... in Network Utility my card reads as N capable, and it does say it's in N mode when the network is on mixed G/N mode. Of course the speed is limited to G.

Is it possible that the draft-N in the router isn't compatible with the draft-N in the MacBook Pro? The manufacturing dates would definitely be at least a couple of years apart. Probably more.

And if so, would a firmware update on the router theoretically fix this, or is it completely a hardware problem? I just don't want to upgrade the firmware on the router for no reason and somehow make things worse.

Installed 802.11n Enabler but unable to get N speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.