Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to transfer my iMovie library to an external hard drive?

I have just noticed that my fairly new iMac computer's hard drive is almost completely full.

Is it possible to transfer my iMovie library to an external hard drive (that I have plugged constantly into my iMac computer), and still have full functionality of all of my imported movie files in iMovie?

iMac 2.66 GHz, iPhone OS 3.1.2, Mac OS X

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 1:58 AM

6 replies

Jan 2, 2010 11:08 AM in response to br121

Hi - was searching for something else when I came across this post. This is possible, used to do it myself prior to buying my new iMac. Just be sure to move the entire "iTunes Library" folder out as is. The next time you open iTunes a pop up should appear asking you to find/pick your library (just browse to find it for the system). The same principle will work with iPhoto. Alternatively, I believe if you hold the COMMAND key when selecting the application on the dock it will open a window asking you to select the library you want to open. This way comes in handy when you want to keep two separate libraries (i.e. for really old pictures).

Please confirm it worked for you... would love to know I was of help.

R

Jan 2, 2010 5:37 PM in response to br121

Yes, you can move your projects and video files to an external hard drive. The drive must be formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Look through the imovie help files under "Consolidating a project’s media" for instructions

Basically, once in imovie you drag the things you want to move to the correct hard drive in the event library. You can copy the files or move them.

Jan 2, 2010 6:15 PM in response to Mike from VA

Mike from VA, your sony HD video is being converted into apple codec as it is transferred into iMovie. the file sizes balloon when this happens. to prevent this use a video converter like iskysoft converter for mac. it works very well. one tip is that if you see motion artifact after importing set the odd interpolate to "on" in the effects. hope that helps.

Is it possible to transfer my iMovie library to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.