Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring to a different kind of machine?

Can I restore a Time Machine/Time Capsule backup to a different kind of machine?

I bought one of the new i7 iMacs that had graphics/screen problems and have now returned it, and am thinking I may just get a Pro to replace it since people are still getting new ones with the same issues. The thing is, I know the drivers, etc. are different, so would restoring a Time Machine backup from an iMac to a Pro (or an MBP, or ...) break it or otherwise fail? Any tips folks can provide would be most appreciated here.

iMac 27 i7 - Returned, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 7:21 AM

Why restore it, why not just use Migration Assistant to migrate over?

User uploaded file
-mj
3 replies

Nov 28, 2009 7:23 AM in response to JiminSF

you can not do a full system restore to another model computer but you can use migration assistant to import your user settings and applications.
when you first turn on the new computer you get Setup assistant which will give you an option to migrate from a TM backup. you can also do it later using Migration Assistant located in /Applicatins/Utilities.

Restoring to a different kind of machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.