Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection failed error to Time Capsule

I'm trying to connect my MacBook to Time Capsule and am getting the following error message;

Connection failed

There was an error connecting to the server "xxx". Check the server or IP address, and then try again.

If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator.

What might be causing this? I also have an older MacBook, which never leaves the house - this has no connection problems at all...

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 2:11 PM

13 replies

Nov 28, 2009 2:25 PM in response to CwrtBrenin

CwrtBrenin wrote:
I'm trying to connect my MacBook to Time Capsule and am getting the following error message;

Connection failed

There was an error connecting to the server "xxx". Check the server or IP address, and then try again.

What might be causing this? I also have an older MacBook, which never leaves the house - this has no connection problems at all...

see if Time Machine - Troubleshooting and Time Machine FAQ give you any clues

Nov 28, 2009 2:25 PM in response to CwrtBrenin

CwrtBrenin wrote:

Connection failed

There are several things that could be meant by the phrase "connect my MacBook to Time Capsule". Please describe all the steps you're doing that results in that message.

Nov 28, 2009 2:38 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Clarification:

I have a new 2 TB Time Capsule, which I have set up to: 1) Back up a new MacBook (general use) 2) back up an old MacBook (used as home entertainment system) 3) act as HD for iTunes and iPhoto library (accessed through old MacBook).

After taking the TC out of the box, I first backed up my new MacBook, then the old one (all inside the 'Data' folder) then transferred iPhoto and iTunes (all put inside the 'data' folder).

I am now connecting both MacBook purely via WiFi.

My old MacBook now happily connects to both libraries and backs up. In the 'Shared' directory it shows the Time Capsule symbol with an 'eject' symbol next to it. It also says 'Connected as xxxx'

My new MacBook, however, shows the TC symbol in the 'Shared' directory, but no eject symbol. I attempted to restart my machine, and then appeared to be able to see the Data folder (so was connected) but still no eject symbol. When I double-clicked the data file, the TC suggested this wasn't in the correct location - the whole thing disappeared.

So far - so stuck!

Nov 28, 2009 2:43 PM in response to CwrtBrenin

Just to clarify - I now have a 'Connected' confirmation in the Shared directory - but when I double-click on 'Data' I get the error message:

'The operation can't be completed because the original item for "Data" can't be found.'

The window then clears and I get a 'Connection Failed' message.

Meanwhile the Time Machine symbol in the toolbar menu spools and spools with the message 'Making Backup disk available...'

So, still stuck!

Message was edited by: CwrtBrenin

Message was edited by: CwrtBrenin

Nov 28, 2009 4:04 PM in response to CwrtBrenin

CwrtBrenin wrote:
I have a new 2 TB Time Capsule, which I have set up to: 1) Back up a new MacBook (general use) 2) back up an old MacBook (used as home entertainment system) 3) act as HD for iTunes and iPhoto library (accessed through old MacBook).

Are you really using Mac OS X 10.4.8 as identified by your information line? If so, is there a reason you haven't updated to 10.4.11?

After taking the TC out of the box, I first backed up my new MacBook, then the old one (all inside the 'Data' folder) then transferred iPhoto and iTunes (all put inside the 'data' folder).

Mainly out of curiosity, how did you perform that backup?

My old MacBook now happily connects to both libraries and backs up. In the 'Shared' directory it shows the Time Capsule symbol with an 'eject' symbol next to it. It also says 'Connected as xxxx'

By "both libraries" do you mean iTunes and iPhoto?

My new MacBook, however, shows the TC symbol in the 'Shared' directory, but no eject symbol. I attempted to restart my machine, and then appeared to be able to see the Data folder (so was connected) but still no eject symbol. When I double-clicked the data file, the TC suggested this wasn't in the correct location - the whole thing disappeared.

That is somewhat odd, but the specific advice you need may depend on the version of Mac OS X you have, as requested above.

Nov 28, 2009 5:15 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Apologies I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.2 (have now updated) - presumed Apple's site would automatically recognise (whoops!)

I conducted the initial backup by connecting the MacBook to the TC using an ethernet cable to speed up the process. Apart from that, I simply followed the instructions I had - pointing Time Machine to the connected TC (data folder) when connecting it.

I wonder whether I should simply try to start the back-up process from scratch again?

Nov 28, 2009 6:40 PM in response to CwrtBrenin

CwrtBrenin wrote:
I conducted the initial backup by connecting the MacBook to the TC using an ethernet cable to speed up the process. Apart from that, I simply followed the instructions I had - pointing Time Machine to the connected TC (data folder) when connecting it.

What I was looking for is that you backed up with Time Machine.

I'm a little unclear: Are your Time Machine backups successful and you're just unsuccessful mounting the Data folder manually, or is your Time Machine backup failing? If the former, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, if you're using your Data folder for Time Machine and for your iTunes and iPhoto libraries, eventually Time Machine will monopolize all the space in the Data folder and you'll have trouble updating those libraries.

Nov 29, 2009 1:51 PM in response to CwrtBrenin

CwrtBrenin wrote:
No, both are failing - it's as if the original time machine backup just wasn't there - but also it's failing to connect, or sustain a connection.

At the risk of repeating yourself, please describe the particular steps you're taking to mount the Time Capsule disk.

PS Any solution to managing iphoto/itunes libraries and backups at the same time? Don't seem to be able to create another folder other than the Data one...

If you're not trying to share those libraries with more than one computer, one solution is to use Disk Utility to create a "disk image" file (.dmg). Preallocate enough space to hold all the music and photos you plan to add for some time in the future. Mount the .dmg file, then copy your libraries into it. Then dismount the disk image. Finally, copy the .dmg file to the Data folder on your Time Capsule. You can then delete the local copy of the .dmg file. If you don't have enough local disk space, you could create the .dmg file directly on your Time Capsule.

Of course, that involves the mounting process that you've not yet been able to do.

Jan 12, 2010 4:40 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

I've returned home after some time away, and it's back to the Time Capsule problem!

The Time Capsule Status icon (the clock symbol in the menu bar) was grey - I went into Time Capsule Preferences, chose 'Select Disk' and selected 'Data' as the back-up location (the name of the Time Capsule folder). I then chose 'Backup Now' and the status icon turned black & began turning - with message 'Making Backup disk Available'. A couple of times, nothing happened beyond this - and I received an error message.

However after restarting my laptop (note I have shut down and restarted a number of times anyway since end November) the 'Making backup disk available' message was quickly followed by 'Calculating Changes...'. Out of interest, Time Machine Prefernces says that Oldest Backup is "--" and Latest Backup is "--". After 5 minutes, the status changed to 'Calculating Changes... (1%)' and at this point I was able to open Time Machine, and move back to previous backups (most recent being 27 November). It went on to showthat it was backing up 24.5 GB, and began this process. Then the status icon switched to a black circle with warning triangle and Time Capsule Preferences now reads;

Oldest Backup: 27 November 2009
Latest Backup: Failed ℹ

The error message (in the ℹ icon) is:

Make sure your computer and the backup disk are on the same network, and that the backup disk is turned on. Then try again to back up.

Latest successful backup: 27/11/2009 at 22:17

Help appreciated!

Jan 12, 2010 6:40 AM in response to CwrtBrenin

CwrtBrenin wrote:
The Time Capsule Status icon (the clock symbol in the menu bar) was grey

To avoid confusion it's useful to distinguish between two things:

- Time Capsule is your AirPort router

- Time Machine is the software you're trying to use to back up your computer to your Time Capsule.

Two other suggestions:

- You can display the Time Machine status by selecting the item "Open Time Machine Preferences" from the Time Machine menu bar item.

- To avoid complications, I'd refrain from doing anything else with Time Machine while it's doing a backup.

I'd turn off AirPort on your computer, then connect your Mac to your Time Capsule with an Ethernet cable. Pull down the Time Machine menu bar item and select "Back Up Now". Open the Time Machine panel in System Preferences and see how things go. If the backup starts, wait until it's finished before you return to wireless operation. If you can accomplish another successful Time Machine backup cycle, you may be able to restore normal operation.

Connection failed error to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.