Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony PSP via WPA-PSK?

Has anyone had any luck trying to connect a PSP to an Airport (Extreme or Express) via WPA Personal? Supposedly, the 2.0 PSP firmware supports WPA-PSK, which is also supposedly the equivalent of WPA Personal.

Thanks,
MB

Posted on Aug 24, 2005 12:24 AM

14 replies

Aug 25, 2005 5:18 PM in response to Mark Belanger

It's really, really easy. You need to go to...

Settings > Network Settings > Infrastructure Mode

Once there, just enter the settings/search for your express/airport signal and save the setting. You use this setting later on in the browser to connect to. If you've already set up your ibook/mac to connect to your airport/wireless network you should be familiar with the settings.

A quick note, i manage to get better signal from my PSP->Airport than i do from my ibook->airport, very handy!

Aug 30, 2005 7:24 PM in response to Mark Belanger

No idea when it was introduced. I justgot my powerbook a month or two ago and purchased the airport extreme a couple of weeks ago. I did an auto update recently, then after reading a comment on the boards, reverted to the airport firmware 6.1.1.

I set up the network through the normal means on the PSP, added the plain text password (not the hex) and it all worked.

One problem I'm having is with bookmarks. With the PSP 2.0 firmware update, the browser has its own bookmark HTML file. I changed it manually and haven't been able to save since. Maybe a core file was manipulated and that's why you can't save. You may want to try upgrading or reinstalling your PSP firmware.

Hope all this helps.

Oct 17, 2005 2:46 PM in response to Mark Belanger

Hi Mark,

I entered my password exactly as I would do on my Macs.

When it was not working for me, it would show that is connected to the correct SSID but it would timeout while "exchanging keys" or something to that effect.

My Airport Express network is "closed" (i.e. it does not advertise itself), it only allows access from known mac addresses (I had added the mac of the PSP beforehand already) and it obviously requires WPA Personal authentication.

As stated previously, under Firmware 2.0 it would timeout "exchanging" keys and after updating to 2.5 it worked in one go without me making any changes to the PSP, nor to the Airport settings.

Regards,

Martin Bokman

Oct 17, 2005 3:07 PM in response to Martin Bokman

Hi Martin,

After much digging, I finally figured it out. Unfortunately, I broke the first rule of troubleshooting and changed two variables at one time, so I'm not sure which actually made the difference.

1) I changed the Airports to WPA & WPA2 support and my password to 13 characters in length.

2) I reset the PSP to default settings, before reconfiguring.

I have a feeling the 13 character password was a red herring and the real change was clearing the PSP's settings.

Thanks for the help.

-MB

Sony PSP via WPA-PSK?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.