Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAS File Permissions - Access Denied in Windows XP

Alright, I'm going to explain what I did, and hope that somebody here can tell me what I did wrong, or how to fix this...

New iMac arrived. Transferred all the files from my NAS (Iomega StorCenter 1TB) to my iMacs hard drive. Formatted the NAS. From the NAS web interface, I created two users, admin (passworded, read+write) & user (no pw, read only). Also created one shared folder, Data, privelages showed up correctly as I had set them for the two users. From the iMac, I transferred the files back to Data. 10 hours later, I check from the iMac, files are there, user privelages work properly, data is intact, all set.

Fast forward one day. I installed XP SP3 with Boot Camp. From XP, I open \\NAS\Data. Login with admin + password. My two subfolders are there, along with a couple Mac hidden folders (Trash, and something else). I try to open the subfolder Games. Access Denied - You do not have proper privelages to view the contents of this folder. Hmm? Same thing with the second subfolder.

I've tried changing pretty much everything I can think of. I ensured that my NAS privelages were set up properly from the web interface. Thinking that the Mac may have set some of it's own permission on the files/folders, I checked that. They show one user, 'Everyone', and it's permissions are set to No Access. I tried to change it for all the subfolders to Read&Write, but as soon as I leave the Info window and come back, it's reset to No Access. Still I can access the data just fine from the Mac.

TLDR - My NAS data is accessable from my Mac, but not from Windows, even using the same login credentials. Help!

If I don't get any responses by tonight after work, I'll post some pictures to help give a clearer picture of the issue.

27" iMac i7 / 4GB / 2TB / HD4850, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3G

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 7:45 AM

1 reply

NAS File Permissions - Access Denied in Windows XP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.